Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ORI Tagging Programme

I have been a member for about 8 years.

I got my first tagging kit in March. I have the larger tags for sharks and skates. I am still waiting to tag my first fish though - winter is here and I will have to wait till it warms up.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

HI Conrad,

Now this is one of the best threads that should apply to all of us. After doing Game fish Charters for plenty of years we finally got into tag and release. Not only gamefish but turtles as well. Seabirds etc or any aquatic being was because of our time at sea and to cut costs here in the Eastern Cape given to us to free at a acceptible area which would benefit the specie survival as we would be in that area. We would release these creatures logging all details and when fish or creature was recorded again we where informed. This is always a proud moment, knowing that you have done the wright thing, guys!! get involved!! This is special, we need this.

Nice thread Conrad.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Hey, I'm glad to see other forumers being involved in tagging with the ORI.

I was reading an article about tagging in 'Fly Fishing in Salt Water' magazine (may / june 2009) today.

In order to learn more about, and to conserve the american westcoast stocks of dorado, marine biologist Don Hammond spearheaded a tagging programme for Dorado in 2002. Before the end of 2005 they had volunteer anglers tag 4 900 dorado of which 116 were recaptured. After 2005 Hammond retired and left the state funded body he was working with. He kept up his tagging programme of tagging dorado and started raising funds on his own. Through 2008 an additional 1 400 anglers have registered and almost 400 boats are involved in the programme.

The study has revealed some astonishing facts. Dorado tavels an average of 100 miles a day and recaptured fish have travelled up to 2500 miles. Hammond says; "If you look at the figures, it's not hard to envision a circum-North Atlantic migration route that would span 8000 miles. This is certainly whithin the dorado's ability"

The use of archival pop-off satellite tags has contributed significantly to the study. Results show that dorado dive below 400 feet (they are though to be a mostly top water species). Data also indicated a possible universal behaviour among all fish: rising to the surface at first light every morning.

The article concludes with: " The answer is simple. Hammond and his team of volunteer anglers hope to get ahead of the curve. Fisheries managers historically don't look at stocks until they are in trouble. Thus, they rarely have a good baseline from whichh to work, and because of the politics involved, many times they adopt measures best characterised as 'too little too late'. Hammond's tagging programme hopes to take a different tack with dorado. In this era of fisheries management - and in many cases mismanagement - that is terribly refreshing."

I haven't tagged as much as would have liked, but have sorted some practical constraints and have manage to do 6 tags in the last week, between 2 guys from surfski.

Although it is easier to tag fish if you are fishing with a buddy, it can be done if you are fishing by yourself and if you are prepared. With the D tags you can ask Jay Smit(from Jay's vice) to make you a polyprop screw-in holder for your tag inserter. This thing is very sharp!, you don't want it exposed if there is a chance you might get knocked of your feet. This will allow you to carry it on the front of your back pack or wading pack..

Other handy instrument to free up hands is a Bogagrip for handling toothy critters or other beasties and a PVC sheet to lay fish on and for measurement. Another good idea that I saw from a mate, is a measure tape against side of boat or kayak just above water level for quick measurements.

Another option that ORI offer through Elenor Bullen is the submission of catch returns electronically as well as your own personal "taggings” as in below -

http://www.oritag.bluebox.co.za/

There are few things that as satisfying as getting a tag return from a fly caught tagged fish, except of course catching it. Better yet if the next guy that lands the fish actually puts it back as well. The fish below I landed on a 10wt in Moz, it was recaught by a bait fisherman and he returned it after he saw the tag. In the 3 years free it gained an impressive 15cm and 10kg and weighted about 30kg on recapture: I need to find the pic…

A076696 kingfish: giant 13 Apr 2003 Carbo da St Maria 950 Fork Length
    A076696 kingfish: giant 21 Jun 2006 Ponta Milibangalala 1110 Fork Length

Quote Originally Posted by HolyGT View Post
    Although it is easier to tag fish if you are fishing with a buddy, it can be done if you are fishing by yourself and if you are prepared.
    When fishing on my own I normally unclip my stripping basket and let the fish lay in the basket in shallow water. This way it can breathe while I load up the tag-applicator, measure it and apply the tag. But this is only suitable for d-tags (fish between 30 and 60cm).

Well done on there recaptured kingie!

The Kingie was special as I still clearly recall the event, partly because of the 10wt!

Good call on the stripping basket. I also preload my tags when alone and keep them in place with a small o-ring in front off the tag barb. As you insert the tag, the o-ring slides back.

With regards tag returns, anyone had any other returns from fly caught tagged fish?
    I have had some flack from RS and ski-boat conventionals before that FF should not tag as most their fish will die anyway from lactic acid build up, stress, eaten by sharks after long fight, etc. Bollocks in my view, but still stigma FF have to deal with.

I have had one other tag return - a Catface Rockcod from Umkomaas. Only feedback was that it became part of someone Briyani dinner after a year of freedom and a couple of centimetres growth, but still a resident at Umkomaas when caught.

Im interested in tagging too, add one more person to the eastern cape. Is the price for kit still R250?

Quote Originally Posted by HolyGT View Post
    I haven't tagged as much as would have liked, but have sorted some practical constraints and have manage to do 6 tags in the last week, between 2 guys from surfski.

Although it is easier to tag fish if you are fishing with a buddy, it can be done if you are fishing by yourself and if you are prepared. With the D tags you can ask Jay Smit(from Jay's vice) to make you a polyprop screw-in holder for your tag inserter. This thing is very sharp!, you don't want it exposed if there is a chance you might get knocked of your feet. This will allow you to carry it on the front of your back pack or wading pack..

Other handy instrument to free up hands is a Bogagrip for handling toothy critters or other beasties and a PVC sheet to lay fish on and for measurement. Another good idea that I saw from a mate, is a measure tape against side of boat or kayak just above water level for quick measurements.

Another option that ORI offer through Elenor Bullen is the submission of catch returns electronically as well as your own personal "taggings” as in below -

http://www.oritag.bluebox.co.za/

There are few things that as satisfying as getting a tag return from a fly caught tagged fish, except of course catching it. Better yet if the next guy that lands the fish actually puts it back as well. The fish below I landed on a 10wt in Moz, it was recaught by a bait fisherman and he returned it after he saw the tag. In the 3 years free it gained an impressive 15cm and 10kg and weighted about 30kg on recapture: I need to find the pic…

A076696 kingfish: giant 13 Apr 2003 Carbo da St Maria 950 Fork Length
    A076696 kingfish: giant 21 Jun 2006 Ponta Milibangalala 1110 Fork Length
    That link doesnt work, the ORI website is of no help, but I have emailed Ellenor for Information. Just waiting now

Quote Originally Posted by Jody View Post
    That link doesnt work, the ORI website is of no help, but I have emailed Ellenor for Information. Just waiting now
    Looks like the Bluebox site is down, was working earlier in the week. Try Eleanor on Tel: 031-3288222, she is only employeed on part-time basis. She will help with all details on cost and requirements fom their side.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast