Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Fly Talk/Dr. Slick Jul./Aug Swap

Default Fly Talk/Dr. Slick Jul./Aug Swap

Hi Guys,

We will run a bi-monthly fly swap starting with July/August. The first fly is an old faithful Woolly Bugger. We invite all fly tiers experts and beginners to take part, most of you should have the materials for a Woolly Bugger and wouldn't it be great to receive the best Bugger in all the other participants fly boxes. Below are the rules and more information.

Gary from Stealth came on board and sponsored a Dr. Slick Ceramic bobbin valued in the region of R 150.00 for the winner of each fly swap. We will post all the flies on the forum for all to see. The flies will be judged by MC, myself and Mark Krige. The winner then needs to do a step by step sequence with pictures on the forum. We will use the following criteria when we judge the flies.

Proportions- Tail length, hackle length etc.
    Inventiveness.
    Overall fish fooling ability.
    Neatness

Rules

- Deadline for entries - 5 July 2009.
    - Deadline to post flies – 15 July 2009, this is when we should have your flies.
    - Supply a self addressed padded envelope with your postage details when you send your flies, it should be in the region of R 30.00 including postage to us and the return postage.
    - Put your flies in a sturdy, crush proof container, like an empty pill container, you will receive this container back with all the other participants' flies.
    - Supply your name, forum name and a contact number.
    - Send the tracking number of your parcel to flytalk@telkomsa.netvery important!
    - If your Bugger has a special name, let us know.

Send the flies to:

Fly Talk
    Somerset Mall Post Office Counter

I visit this Post Office on a regular basis and the ladies will know who the flies are for.

Let the creative juices flow and start tying. Please list your name below to join the fly swap.

Cheers,

Philip
    Last edited by fish; 24-06-09 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Add Info.

Im in! Well done all, good to have it up and running again.
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

I'm in....

Is there going to be a limit...do I need a shop full of hooks to meet the needs of the swop?
    Jan L. Korrûbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Hi Jan,

Maybe we will limit it to one packet of hooks, we will see how it goes. Luckily a Woolly Bugger should be pretty quick to tie, we want to encourage the beginners to also take part.

Cheers,

Philip

I'm in. This will be my first fly swap, looking forward to it
    Andrew Schlosser

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left - Seasick Steve

Hi Guys,

I am not sure if every knows how a fly swap works. Here is a bit more detail.

Say there are 10 tiers who enter. Each participant ties 10 flies, in this case a Woolly Bugger - one for each of the other participants and one for the Swapmeister. The flies get sent to a central point a then redistributed (one fly of each tier) to each participant. You receive 9 Woolly Buggers back, which you can fish and copy the most effective ones.

It's a great way of sharing and receiving.

Cheers,

Philip

Bugger Swappers List - Jul/Aug

1. Fishwisperer
    2. JanK
    3. Schloshd1

Cool I'm in - haven't done one of these before.
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Hi Guys,

I am not sure if every knows how a fly swap works. Here is a bit more detail.

Say there is 10 tiers who enter. Each participant ties 10 flies, in this case a Woolly Bugger - one for each of the other participants and one for the Swapmeister. The flies get sent to a central point a then redistributed (one fly of each tier) to each participant. You receive 9 Woolly Buggers back, which you can fish and copy the most effective ones.

It's a great way of sharing and receiving.

Cheers,

Philip

That would be 9 tiers ... unless the SwapMeister is him/herself a tier.

If the SwapMeister in not part of the tying group, but simply the organiser/collector/poster, then the tiers (usually) have to tie 1 extra for the Meister (as a show of allegiance / affection / subservience / whatever )

So if the limit is a box of (25) hooks, there there are either 24/25 tiers, depending if the Meister is also tying.
    Jan L. Korrûbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Cool I'm in - haven't done one of these before.
    Ooooh, here come the heavies : B, make that a #32 bugger for you
    Jan L. Korrûbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast