Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chelmsford Dam

Default Chelmsford Dam

Hey guys,

I'm going to be up in Newcastle at the end of the month to run a race, and we're staying at Chelmsford dam.

On the website it indicates fishing as an activity, for Scallies and Carp. I'd like to try and flick a fly for a few Scallies.

Has anyone fished the dam? Is it any good? And does anyone have any advice? Fly recommendations, etc.

Thanks
    Warren

I haven't fished there Warren, but the water should be clear and sight fishing for scalies (and anything else for that matter!) is a bucket of fun.

Flies I have successfully used for scalies in the Umkomaas and also at Cascades at Midmar, are simple black nymphs.

Simplest of the lot is a gold bead with a couple of turns of a 4-strand peacock herl rope on the hook shank - that's it.

Otherwise flashback nymphs, or nymphs with a nice white/flash ribbing will also do the trick.

If the water is deep, you will need a "control" type fly to get your nymph(s) down, so a nice weighted Copper John will do the trick.

Have fun, and post some pics of the fishing and the fish!
    Jan L. Korrûbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Thanks for the reply Jan. Hopefully I come back with more than just photos of scenery.

I've heard from someone that I'll only pick up yellows at the inlet or below the dam wall? Know if this is true? We were hoping to just fish in walking distance from the chalet. We are after all mostly there to run a race, and we'll be quite tired.

Apparently there are bass? Anyone know if this is true? Maybe we can target those?

Quote Originally Posted by WazzyP View Post
    Thanks for the reply Jan. Hopefully I come back with more than just photos of scenery.

I've heard from someone that I'll only pick up yellows at the inlet or below the dam wall? Know if this is true? We were hoping to just fish in walking distance from the chalet. We are after all mostly there to run a race, and we'll be quite tired.

Apparently there are bass? Anyone know if this is true? Maybe we can target those?
    Hey Wazzy, I used to stay pretty close to the dam (about 45mins drive). But I've only been there a few times. Mostly because it is known as a pap-gooiers dam! But when we were small we used to catch plenty small scalies anywhere along the banks in summer! But this was with pap Their bites were so quick and sneaky that you couldn't put your rod down, you had to sit with it on your hands, ready! Haven't been to the inlet and below the dam wall, so not sure about that...There are big carp in this dam, so if they present themselves give that a go!!! Anyway, let me know how it goes! Might give the dam a go sometime as well...

Cheers
    Jimbo
    "When you on the river, ocean or in the woods, you are the closest to the truth you'll ever get." - Jack Leonard

Hi Warren
    We did quite a bit of sailing at Chelmsford but that was about 105 years ago
    We caught some nice bass in between the races and on our "off" time. Might be a bit cold for the bass now but worth a shot.....being cold, means I'm writing from Cape Town and forget about the Natal cold /warmth
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Thanks for the replies guys...its not sounding as promising as I had hoped

What about the Buffels River? I believe it may have some good spots?

Any recommendations?

Thanks

I think the Buffalo will be a much better bet! It is really clear at the moment! Whereas I've never seen Chelmsford clear! I still need to get my first scaly on fly! So maybe some of the more experienced guys can help you out technique wise! I know of a few friends who used to catch plenty big scaly there, but never had the opportunity to join them I might be fishing the Buffalo sometime in August so I hope the water is clear by then still...Well, hope you give it a go Good luck...
    "When you on the river, ocean or in the woods, you are the closest to the truth you'll ever get." - Jack Leonard

The river sounds like a good option...anyone know of some good spots?

Where do we park and fish?

Who owns the land?

Etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbi View Post
    Their bites were so quick and sneaky that you couldn't put your rod down, you had to sit with it on your hands, ready!
    That must be a pap gooiers worst nightmare... not being able to put your rod down.
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    That must be a pap gooiers worst nightmare... not being able to put your rod down.
    Ja Byron I will never forget it, it was so exciting for us lighties

Wazzy, I don't know much about public spots along the river...Think most of it is on private (farmers) land!...I've only fished further down near blood river....Well, good luck! Let us know how you go!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast