Thread: Apies River below Bonaccoard Dam

Default Apies River below Bonaccoard Dam

Anyone fished this part of the Apies before?

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    Anyone fished this part of the Apies before?
    Jeeze guy's......thanks for all the info!? I cannot believe that no-one has anything to say about the Apies river.

Is the Bonaccord not a stormwater dam.Cant see much in the line of yellows there but there should be plenty catfish and maybe carp.

Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    Is the Bonaccord not a stormwater dam.Cant see much in the line of yellows there but there should be plenty catfish and maybe carp.
    I red a story some time ago about small and large scale yellows in the Apies. This is what sparked the question. I've got a colleague thats got a plot along that stretch. I thought I might give it a try........but I'm not going to drive all the way there for nothing.

I would go if I were you.Leave it until the water temps are right so that you know where the yellows should be.This eliminates alot of guess work and also will give you a good indication of quantity if you find yellows.We have a stream here that is no wider than one can jump and seems to hold only catfish/carp and bass.Was I surprised to catch 6 Smallmouth yellows in 30 min in a 10m stretch with the largest just over a kilo.I know hat after the first rains you should see then below the dam walls or weirs.here by us they jump out the wtare trying to scale the walls.Post something if you find.

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    I red a story some time ago about small and large scale yellows in the Apies. This is what sparked the question. I've got a colleague thats got a plot along that stretch. I thought I might give it a try........but I'm not going to drive all the way there for nothing.
    There will be fish, depending on how deep the water is (in winter the fish migrate downstream to find deeper water if that section is too shallow), if the pollution has killed them all off or driven them further downstream and also if the natives are netting/eating there.

Is the viz good ? Go scout it out, take along tiny tiny HE coloured dries on a long leader in addition to the usual array of flies. Remember to look for cruisers (groups of three or better) or for the big pods hanging out. Your best bet is to go see what it's like first and to see if there are fish from there the usual approach for SS & LS will work.

Good luck.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

I'd give it a skip. The apies anywhere between bon accord and vasfontein (about 5km north of rooi wal power station) is especially polluted.

It regularly suffers from mass fish kills, do some googling or speak to Izak at vasfontein. He pumps water from the apies into his irrigation dam so he can give you first hand info on the water quality. All of the yellows in the pools of his property are long gone - they used to gorge themselves on the mulberries next to the old homestead.

The Feacal coliform count regularly measures around 1500 due to the municipal sewage works near the zoo and the sewage works at rooiwal so I'd be nervous to get near the water in even waders.

There are a few places above bon accord that hold small populations of yellows in summer and a few places down stream of vasfontein, but the chances of getting any decent info about them on a public forum is non-existant pretty much like ay stream in Gauteng
    Check your knots!

Lots of barbel migration in the past when it's wet. They go over the dam wall and head off across the veld in the little runnels made by the spill over. Locals gaff hundreds of them when it happens.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. H. L. Mencken

Every decent man is ashamed of his government.

Quote Originally Posted by Lardbeast View Post
    Lots of barbel migration in the past when it's wet. They go over the dam wall and head off across the veld in the little runnels made by the spill over. Locals gaff hundreds of them when it happens.
    Look....if the barble starts runnig away, than ja.......must be bad!!!