Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Vaal Hackle?

nice, have made a rod holder for my tube that takes 2 rods, one for dry flies for SM and one for streamers so will definately be trying to get my first largie
    Andrew Schlosser

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left - Seasick Steve

Quote Originally Posted by schloshd1 View Post
    nice, have made a rod holder for my tube that takes 2 rods, one for dry flies for SM and one for streamers so will definately be trying to get my first largie
    Andrew

What do your holders look like? How did you make them?
    I made one for my tube..can hold three rods...two are out the way, one you can put in the front when changing flies, etc etc. Out of 50mm black PVC pipe, velcro straps, 20mm pine plank, and neoprene on the back to protect the tube. I put caps on the bottoms of each tube, to prevent water coming in. Rod slots in, then tilts forward so it can't slide out, and then velcro straps fasten around the rod for extra security. I'm not entirely happy, would like to modify it here and there, and would like to see your idea. Maybe steal some ideas!
    I want to also put quick release clips on the top...but left it like this with just rope there, so I could adjust the angle it hangs next to my tube.

Check out some pics:

Here it is before I painted the wood matt black, and still testing it out. It secures on the top, and on the bottom, with stretch cord and clips:

Last edited by Michael; 27-07-09 at 09:02 PM.

howsit Mike, will post some pics tonight
    Andrew Schlosser

Vaal Hackle is a great summer venue, you will have to carry your tube a long way to get to the top pools, and carry it back up a long way if you fish the bottom pool.

There is too much summer water to cover in a long weekend right in front of your lodgings to even consider going stream up for anything else. You're going to have a blast, August is already a good time to nymph to your heart's content. 30+ fish a day using stock standard flies and an indicator rig is more than doable. Also be sure to take some heavy heavy flies with, there are pockets that are quite deep (as far as rapids go)

The great thing is they don't do day visitors, though you get the odd poacher coming in from the far bank and downstream. Remember to take your own water and if you have a portable bug zapper it will keep the missus happy (the MF and Caddis hatches are thick)
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Is this it?

Yip, that's it ... flows look very high in that photo though ... usually the bits around the three islands is all riffle water with lots of white.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Very nice looking place, looks like you going to have an awesome time.

man that looks great! thanks for all the info , I'm starting to wish that I had longer than just the 3 days there
    Andrew Schlosser

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Andrew

What do your holders look like? How did you make them?
    I made one for my tube..can hold three rods...two are out the way, one you can put in the front when changing flies, etc etc. Out of 50mm black PVC pipe, velcro straps, 20mm pine plank, and neoprene on the back to protect the tube. I put caps on the bottoms of each tube, to prevent water coming in. Rod slots in, then tilts forward so it can't slide out, and then velcro straps fasten around the rod for extra security. I'm not entirely happy, would like to modify it here and there, and would like to see your idea. Maybe steal some ideas!
    I want to also put quick release clips on the top...but left it like this with just rope there, so I could adjust the angle it hangs next to my tube.

Check out some pics:

Here it is before I painted the wood matt black, and still testing it out. It secures on the top, and on the bottom, with stretch cord and clips:

ok this mine made from 40mm pvc pipes and velcro to secure the rods. I have sewn the velcro tabs on the float tube to form a permanent ring and the velcro to attach the rod holder on the upright tubes goes through those. The rope on the bottom corners is attatched to the D-rings underneath the tube to stabalise it all. The caps on the bottom corners unskrew to make it easier to empty out any water that gets in. After seeing yours I think that I am going to modify mine to include a third rod holder in the front I also like that extra slot in your pipes that the real slides into so that it is more secure.
    Andrew Schlosser

Quote Originally Posted by schloshd1 View Post
    ok this mine made from 40mm pvc pipes and velcro to secure the rods. I have sewn the velcro tabs on the float tube to form a permanent ring and the velcro to attach the rod holder on the upright tubes goes through those. The rope on the bottom corners is attatched to the D-rings underneath the tube to stabalise it all. The caps on the bottom corners unskrew to make it easier to empty out any water that gets in. After seeing yours I think that I am going to modify mine to include a third rod holder in the front I also like that extra slot in your pipes that the real slides into so that it is more secure.
    That one looks great! I saw a similar one on the net while I was searching for designs. The only reason I didn't do that, was I wanted the rods to be "flatter"...JUST off the water surface, so as not to get in the way of casting etc. So I opted for the PVC brackets instead, and made the angles more accute. The one in the front is cool for when you get out of the water, to store the third rod in...or on the water, you can slot the rod in there and change flies etc without worrying the rod will slip off the stripping apron etc. It's also out of the way then.

The PVC slots are in an "L" shape...so you slide the rod and the reel in completely, then turn the rod so the reel's foot slots into the L hole. You can't pull it out, without turning the rod. Then the velcro is there for further protection.

I actually also want to put little clips on each tube, with a 30cm lentgh of rope or stretch-cord. Then clip the rod on. This way even if the rods come loose, they will still be secured to the contraption.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast