Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CDC wooly bugger/fritz

Default CDC wooly bugger/fritz

Okj, here it is. It's debatable wheather this is a woolly bugger or fritz variation, but whatever it is, it is a really good attractor pattern for trout still waters. Fished deep and slow, or shallow and fast, it has great movement, and is speciffically good at larkies, as a point fly in a team of three (I have not tried it any other way) Desiged with good movement in mind, is simple and quick to tie.

Step 1.
    Dohiku barbless, anything from size 6 to 10, depending on you preference. A good idea is to have a range of sizes.
    I have used a size 8, with a 3.0mm pink Tungsten bead.
    Tie in your marabout tail with a couple of strands of blue flash. i go for a slightly longer tail for accentuated movement.

Step 2.
    Tie in your body material. I have used a dubbing brush that I have spun out of a mix of various natural squirrel and rabbit dubbings, with some synthetic holographic and glitzy materials. Try to get a good taperred profile, thicker at the bead.

Step 3.
    Once the body is in place, tie in a single large CDC feather, and grab the point of the CDC with your hackle pliers. Wind the CDC clockwise around the point here the body and the bead meet. Be sure to stroke the CDC fibres back with every turn.

Step 4.
    Once you have tied in the whole feather, tie it off. It there is some of the CDC feater point left after you have tied it off, leave it there, it adds to the movement.
    Last edited by Andre; 28-07-09 at 08:50 PM.

Thanks alot Andre,sure looks like a awesome fish taker!!

What other colors would u reccommend?

Andre, I remember a while back you had a thread or posts about the dubbing brush. Is it a mission to make the brush tool?.....(sorry, don't know what to call it) I have not searched for the post as there was a project that to be printed for school and saw the fly and jumped the gun.
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

It's not too difficult if you know what you want to acieve. Search under "spinning block" and you will see mine. The key to a good spinning block, is to have a good sturdy spindle with good inertia. what is more tricky, is to get your dubbing blends to the consistency that you need to make good brushes. This can take some time to get right, but once you have it, you can make the most awesome flies. Blending your dubbings and spinning your brushes, is about as much fun as the actual tying of the flies. Brushes are great for nymphs, attractor patterns and yellowfish flies. I seldom use dubbing in the conventional method anymore.
    I even make my own fritz chenille

Thanks Andre
    Will check it out and I think I must attend one of your next fly tying sessions. I bought a pack of dubbing brushes a while ago and they are definately not cheap
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    Thanks Andre
    Will check it out and I think I must attend one of your next fly tying sessions. I bought a pack of dubbing brushes a while ago and they are definately not cheap
    Ya, they can be hectic. I think I am doing the tying evening at Eikendal next Thursday. Not confirmed, but we are talking about it. Looks like it's going to be yellowfish flies for the trip, but if so, and you come, i will bring my spinning block.
    Alternativly, Wed (tommorrow) evening, Grant is comming round to my place for some tying. He's been evicted (book club or something) for the evening, so he's comming for a few bottles of wine and some ***praat, so join us.

Nice fly Andre, thanks for sharing.

Will look up your spinning block story - interested in making my own dub brushes too. You make your Fritz Chenille in the same way...using Angel's Hair and the like?
    Jan L. Korrûbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Rols, I made some bases for the dubbing block for a chap not so long ago, so if you are looking, let me know what sizes you need and I will put them together for you.
    Unfortunately I did not take photos, but they were made from meranti and all you need is the motor etc to drive the whole lot.
    Peter

Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going - Jim Ryun

Let's keep it real..

Thanks Peter, will check out sizes and pm you. Have you thought of a name yet for that other project?

Nice fly, with that pink bead it looks like it'll also work particularly well in some bars in greenpoint.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast