Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Solution for tying thin tippets knots

Glans, I think Gerrit is saying the stuff is good.

Gerrit, I got mine at Mias in Woodmead in amongst the baity stuff, but like I said it was more than a year ago but I'm positive you will find some at most bass tackle shops.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Glans View Post
    Gerrit

Why do you say that
    Does break when you knot or when you shock the line?

Jannie
    Sommer net forum lingo vir die lyn is goed genoeg vir my.

Quote Originally Posted by Babyson View Post
    Glans, I think Gerrit is saying the stuff is good.

Gerrit, I got mine at Mias in Woodmead in amongst the baity stuff, but like I said it was more than a year ago but I'm positive you will find some at most bass tackle shops.

Rob
    Thanks Rob,will call upon some connections to get me some.

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    Do not like stating my knots here as it would lead to a ''pissing'' contest.

DAVE
    Sadly Dave...this is the norm on S.A. fly fishing forums...Pity really.

Just remember that flouro sinks pretty well which is very useful when nymphing, especially if you're using lines with a thicker diameter.

Most guys probably have between 6-10ft of line in the water at any one time if you consider leader length and the tippet sections to three flies.
    Check your knots!

Hi Jannie

I don't use flouro for two reasons...firstly I have experienced too many snap-offs on places like Sterkfontein. Flouro (to me) just can't handle the sudden shock when a fish takes off. I prefer normal mono as it has some stretch.
    Secondly as Chris mentioned, flouro will last a few thousand years...not enviromentally friendly at all.
    (I'm sure a bunch of mono lying around is not great either...but at least it breaks down eventually).

I use Double X Platinum Plus...you can get it in equivalent breaking strains of 0X, 1X, 2X, 3X, 4X, 5X. On 6X and 7X I still buy Rio Powerflex...'cos I don't use it that often.
    I also buy Diamond Araty, and if I could find all the different diameters I'd buy them all, it's a really good mono to use for tippet material. But so far I can only find it down to 3X diameter and breaking strain.
    Double X Platinum Plus and Diamond Araty won't break the bank and it's really good stuff.

Cheers
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    Just remember that flouro sinks pretty well which is very useful when nymphing, especially if you're using lines with a thicker diameter.

Most guys probably have between 6-10ft of line in the water at any one time if you consider leader length and the tippet sections to three flies.
    Never more than a rod length from tip of flyline to point fly....The shorter the better for the visual detection, and an element of feel. I use a complete leader of 6 foot. 10 foot is too long, you are going to miss a lot of takes.
    The different sink rate of fluro to mono is completely negligible in the context of the weighted nymph. The ecological disadvantages to using flurocarbon, are enough to cause me to stay away from it. The first time I lost a liece of fluro in the river, i felt so bad, that i swore I would never use it again, as well as discouraging others from using it. If you are a super experienced angler, and you are sure of your knots, and tippet streangth, please stay away from fluro.
    I will say it again, the advantage of fluro over any good mono, are absolutely negligible, unless you are a sh1t hot angler who gets everything technically perfect every time, and are looking for that extra one percent. In this case, I would turn a blind eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Never more than a rod length from tip of flyline to point fly....The shorter the better for the visual detection, and an element of feel. I use a complete leader of 6 foot. 10 foot is too long, you are going to miss a lot of takes.
    How long's your rod? Hence the 6-10ft generalisation My leader is normally 7ft long and when I add three short dropper sections of 15cm each to that I end up with 8 and a half feet of line in the water. Some guys will have more than this and some will have less based on personal preference.

I'm not sure I understand why the sinking flouro isnt an issue when fishing weighted nymphs? Doesnt it all have to do with the amount of resistance to the fly trying to sink - slim profiles, minimal leader length to reduce drag, "tuck casts" to get the fly through the most turbulent upper layers faster etc? If the line floated I think it would definitely be an issue.
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    How long's your rod? Hence the 6-10ft generalisation My leader is normally 7ft long and when I add three short dropper sections of 15cm each to that I end up with 8 and a half feet of line in the water. Some guys will have more than this and some will have less based on personal preference.

I'm not sure I understand why the sinking flouro isnt an issue when fishing weighted nymphs? Doesnt it all have to do with the amount of resistance to the fly trying to sink - slim profiles, minimal leader length to reduce drag, "tuck casts" to get the fly through the most turbulent upper layers faster etc? If the line floated I think it would definitely be an issue.
    Yes, I fish with a 10 foot rod, but this is too long for a leader, thats why I go 6 foot or there abouts. 7 foot is fine, but used the rod length as a generalisation, and did say "not more than a rod legnth", however different strokes.
    Yes i agree with what you say about sinking flies and casts etc. but lets not over technicalise it. All i am saying is that a piece of fluro isn't going to get your fly to go down any quicker than mono, unless you are a super technically brilliant angler who is looking for that extra one percent. The average guy or even the above average guy isn't going to get any sink advantage with fluro.
    I have been in my swimming pool with goggles and checked the sink rates of different flies with different lines, and I can assure you, there is no difference between fluro and mono, with an identical fly of the same weight, besides, the fluro is just as visible under thewater as the mono, and when the sun catches it, it can even be more visible. I have yet to find any advantage that fluro brings in any situation. (this doesnt mean there isn't one, I just haven't found one), and when you consifder the risks of snapping knots and fish swimming away with such a horribly eco unfriendly cable dragginf from their mouth, any advantage is quickly out done. Sure, mono isn't the best for the environment either, but at least there is less risk, and a slightly better intent.
    It's no secret that fluro breaks more easily, so whats the point of hooking the fish with a slightly more percieved advantage, (note percieved), only to take a higher risk of losing the fish to a snapoff?
    I have said my piece, and done my bit to discourage the use of fluro in our sensitve rivers., so what's the point of moaning about all the polution in the Vaal, when we are prepared to risk leaving something there that will last until the next ice age, or longer. I would rather go out and catch a few less fish, and make sure that i don't risk leaving anything detrimental behind. If the situation specifically requires fluro, then I will work on my technique, to get a better chance of getting the fish on mono. There is not one single incidence where fluro is absolutely essential.

Absolute bollocks!!

This fly uses fluoro,it makes the pattern what it is.....

Attachment 6330

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    Absolute bollocks!!

This fly uses fluoro,it makes the pattern what it is.....

Attachment 6330
    That's fine Gerrit. If you are happy to use fluro, then go for it. My take, is that I am not happy to use it, so I choose to look for good reasons to support my take. If you think that it gives you an advantage, then hey, who am I to argue. It's a nice fly, but it isnt going to out perform any other nice flies on any given Sunday.
    It's not bollocks, come, be fair , what is bollocks, is thinking that fluro is going to add some value, where where all the other technical stuff is ignored.
    I have not written fluro off completely, all i am saying, is that, once everything else is 100% and you are looking for a miniscule advantage, then hey, fluro might be it, but fluro shouldn't be used as an excuse to compensate for rubbish casting, rubbish flies, rubbish technique, and rubbish angling.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast