Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Whats your "Dream Trip" to NZ like?

Default Whats your "Dream Trip" to NZ like?

There are so many reasons to fish in New Zealand, and I have come to understand not everyone goes there seeking trophys... while I don't understand why, I realize we are all different and some people just want to catch fish. So what would your Dream Trip to fish New Zealand consist of?

Lets say its 2 weeks of fishing every day possible.
    Some things to consider:
    Stillwater vs rivers
    Small rivers vs large rivers
    North or South Island?
    One region or Multiple regions?
    Densities or Size of fish?
    multi-day Hiking, helicopter, 4wd access?
    camping, backpacker inns, B&Bs, hired camper vans?
    How many other Anglers?
    Guided or "self catered"?
    Night fishing?
    Meals?
    Other activities? (seriously?)
    Must-Fish water?
    Prices?
    Anything I am missing
    I'd be very interested to hear what sort of trip people would want planned for them.
    Lets hear about your Dream trip to New Zealand...

My Dream trip to NZ:

1: Getting there
    2: Fishing

Pretty much the same deal as all my dream trips to anywhere...

Nice Mark, makes sense to me

Booger Rose Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MarkK View Post
    My Dream trip to NZ:

1: Getting there
    2: Fishing

Pretty much the same deal as all my dream trips to anywhere...
    3: Someone to sponsor me

I think very few can claim to have done this one.
    My dream trip starts at the dam wall of the mighty Gariep dam.A huge pontoon type flat deck boat with a motor that can carry all the necessary.We cruise the orange river down to Van der kloof dam,we see the confluence with the Riet and vaal at Douglas and continue to the mighty Augrabies falls and on to alexander bay.This is something available on our backdoor and you will catch many fish and many species,see some of the most breathtaking scenery in the world and be one of only a handful of people that have ever done almost the entire Orange.This is a dream trip that is very obtainable.

I have done the NZ trip.
    some observations I made.
    Rain and wind is always a serious factor.
    Be very flexable.
    There are more rivers than you can imagine.
    What I enjoyed was sightseeing on the SI, as we travelled and drove over a river, we stopped and fished.
    I had 2 or 3 hotspots that I wanted to do, the rest were very flexable.
    Some of the lesser know spots, produced superb fishing.
    Sometimes without the 5 or 10 km hiking that was required for the "hotspot"
    Mosquitos, midges, sandfleas, howling wind and driving rain could be your companion for your whole trip, if you are unlucky.
    But no tour operator, guide etc will tell you that.
    If you are lucky, you could have almost none of above.
    I spent 8 days in NZ SI, with only 1 day completely washed out, 2 days of wind, and very little mosquitos (1 afternoon only seriously bad and some sandfleas)
    But definitely some of the best fly fishing you could experience.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Well summed up Korrie. You need to be flexible as the weather is very changeable, even in the middle of summer. You can find yourself in heavy rain and blown out rivers but a short drive over the mountains will find you in sunshine and fishable water. I wouldn't pre-book accommodation, rather be flexible, and carry a tent as a backup should everything be booked out. Choose you companions carefully - you want likeminded fellows who will forego comforts for the chance of good fishing. Nothing worse than knowing you have to head back for a pre-arranged dinner when the fish are biting and a trophy could be a cast away.

Get some first-hand local knowledge at the start of your trip. Hire a good guide, they will teach you so much about presentation and how to approach the rivers. Alternatively make friends with a local and get them to take you out. This will enrich your fishing experience no end. You will learn about the fish, the rivers, the wildlife and the local community. To me this makes for a much more rewarding trip than just catching a few large fish in a strange river surrounded by unknown bush and enrecognised bird calls.

Wind is a big problem in the South Island. Again be flexible - downstream nymphing also works. Cover up - the sun burns down here - and the insects bite (sandflies can make fishing unbearable) - the wind, glare and long walks will tire you out. Alternate big days in the backcountry with some easy days - lowland streams, evening hatches, lake outlets.

Regarding the islands - go South - nothing to see up here in the North. I am happy to try to answer any questions anyone has on NZ fishing.
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

I think every trip one makes is a dream trip but to me, top of the pops, it's going to be a toss up between taking Bonefish on the flats of Alphonse or teasing up a Sailfish off the coast of Kenya!

In the meantime I'll take every opportunity I get to put my fly in the water!
    Fisherman - We're all born honest but we soon get over it!

This is all great advice. I have been lucky enough to spend a total of 12 weeks fishing in NZ, and even on the stream which is oddly the subject of an article in the new TCFF, Larrys. The island is epic, I was sort of curious as to what people expect when going, as there are many conditions to contend with including rain and the grueling wind...not to mention uncooperative trout.

What do people have for expectations?

If you do go to NZ, don't forget to have a lash at the salt water species.

There is awesome fishing at the river mouths and even better yet, is if you can get a ride with someone in a boat.
    The north island is the place to be fishing, rather than the south as the water is warmer. Lots of interesting species, and if you can get a shot at the big Southern Yellowtail (Kingfish in NZ), all the better. They really do pull string.

Forget this is you are only interested in chasing mudfish (trout)

There are so many rivers, streams, creeks etc, it could well take you a lifetime to fish them all......and I'm not kidding!
    Enjoy the NZ trip - brilliant country and really nice people in the country.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast