Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Soft Hackle flies for yellows

Default Soft Hackle flies for yellows

The majority of fly boxes usually host the "usual suspects" for yellows, proven patterns that produce consistent results.

The other day while fishing for trout with one of my favorite style patterns, a soft hackle mayfly pattern in size 16, I wondered if it would work for yellows. I couldn't see why not, any caddis or mayfly pupa rising to the surface to emerge tucks it's legs in tight and forms itself into a nice hydrodynamic shape. A soft hackle fly's profile imitates this profile very efficiently and we all know of the hatches we see on the Vaal.

I believe that this style fly deserves a place in the box and has the ability to produce good results. Soft hackle variations are endless. I've attached a couple of patterns (#16) I've tied up using a variety of components, goose biot, peacock hearl, dubbing and hackle that includes partridge and Brahma hen. One of the patterns shows the inclusion of a 5/64" tungsten bead.

I hope these patterns stimulate the imaginative side of tyers that leads to the production of patterns that may provide an edge on already pressured waters.

Vital Statistics:
    Hook: TMC 3761 (size 16 - 18)
    Thread: Danville 6/0 (70 denier)
    A good book on soft hackle flies: Tying & Fishing Soft Hackle Nymphs - Allen McGee

Happy tying! Paul

Hi Paul

Nice flies, I'm a huge fan of soft hackles especially on dry and dropper rigs - and for yellows they are killer. Nice ties as always.
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

Some fantastic flies, Paul. A style of tying I have neglected completely, but I will be rectifying that shortly.
    Thank you

Rob

Hi Paul

Nice flies. They certainly do work for yellows. Keith Wallington was fishing a lot of soft hackles on the Vaal, before he left for the UK. Very sparce patterns.

regards
    Mike

Sylvester Nemes has an excellent book as well. Also 'North Country Spiders' (or similar name..I'm not at home so can't tell you exactly..) is great. My first ever fly-caught grayling was on my home stream River Pang back in 1964 and it was on a Snipe/Purple spider ('soft hackle'). I've been using them for Vaal yellows since I was last out here in 1970. I'll try and dig out a few 'Vaal Variations' for you when I'm back in
    Gauties next week - these try and imitate Baetis swimming nymphs, and emerging Hydropsyche ('mustard') and Macrostemum ('green rockworm') Caddis pupae and fished appropriately at the right times can be absolute killers
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Fish soft hackles across and down for some serious fun.
    Especially under trees.
    Also try the across and down, for the last half hour of light.
    Fished as emerging caddis's the takes can be very hard.
    This way is very seldom fished as most of us are on the way back home.
    But if you are at the water the last hour or so, try a bit of across and down.
    Put 2 flies on about 75 cm apart.
    Don't cast more than 30 degrees from the river's flow across.
    This could make the flies swing to fast.
    This technique can be used in water that is flowing very fast to some slow moving pools. Deadly in any situation.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Very nice Paul.

To everybody who's posted a reply, thanks for the great feedback and the wonderful compliments!

Thanks Corrie, I'm definitely going to give it a bash. Do you think it's worth trying this pattern early season or is it a pattern that will work better in warmer conditions?

Some very nice flies there Paul!
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast