Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Felt soled boots

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Elliott View Post
    Neil, thanks for relating your experience with Korkers. I have now heard some very mixed reviews. I have also heard that the newer models have corrected some of the problems of earlier models. But on the balance it sounds like a risky proposition to buy them so I may look at something else.

Is it possible to buy aquastealth and have a shoe repairer convert existing boots to aquastealth?

Hi Kevin,

Have a look at www.stealthrubber.com, they don't have NZ listed but then neither is SA and we have resolers. Contact them and see if they can put you in touch with a resoler. Another option is to contact any of the rock climbing shops as these guys are likely to sell 510 climbing shoes which use Stealth Rubber. If they don't have the resole kits they should be able to import for you on their next shipment. The Aquastealth is sometimes called "dotty" rubber.

Good luck,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    The Aquastealth is sometimes called "dotty" rubber.
    also sometimes called "510" rubber. find a place that resoles hiking boots with decent (vibram) soles, they should know about this stuff...

i had my chotas resoled as a xmas present from the SWAMBO. awesome stuff, highly recommended. now i must just learn to wade quietly
    Last edited by ebf; 15-03-07 at 07:48 AM.

Know the feeling, hiking/wading boots and myself are about as compatible as cricket bats and AB de Villiers....

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    My no 1 boots now are Vision Stealth boots with studded Aquastealth soles.
    How long have you had your Vision boots?
    I have fished mine now for 1 season, and they are starting to come loose at the toe caps.
    Also, they seem to have shrunk. I ordered 2 sizes bigger than I normally
    wear, and now when I'm fishing, they start pressing on my toes.
    To be fair on the manufacturer, I dont think its their fault, I think I never
    took proper care of them.
    I clean them after I fish, but never treat the leather/suede "whatever it is" and now the leather has gone hard.

I still think they're great boots though!
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    How long have you had your Vision boots?
    I have fished mine now for 1 season, and they are starting to come loose at the toe caps.
    Also, they seem to have shrunk. I ordered 2 sizes bigger than I normally
    wear, and now when I'm fishing, they start pressing on my toes.
    To be fair on the manufacturer, I dont think its their fault, I think I never
    took proper care of them.
    I clean them after I fish, but never treat the leather/suede "whatever it is" and now the leather has gone hard.

I still think they're great boots though!
    Dizzy

I have only had the Vision's for about 4 months. So far so good.

Hi Dizzy,

I can't comment specifically for Visions as I don't know them, but for any genuwwwiiiinnne leather, good ol' fashioned dubbin (Hareline spell 'dubbing' this way!) such as Joburg's 'Dale's Dubbin', is superb - the horsey guys still swear by this for bridfles, saddles etc. Apart from being semi-waterproof the main thing is after cleaning your boots when dry, they really do nourish them and make them soft and stop them from shrivelling up (no, I havn't yet tried it on my privates but maybe my wife would like me to test it out....). 'Snow-Seal', a beeswax base is also a good natural one to use, but I use this usually over Dale's if going to more rugged conditions. I'm sure there are a lot more trendy scientifically-better leather preservatives on the market, but the above work for my leather boots, belts and any leather bits or old fishing bags or rod holdalls. I still have my original R.M. Williams (no relation alas) boots from dozens of years ago which look almost as new as my younger pairs, scuffs from drop-kicking full beer cans and karate'ing wild buffalo in the head excepted.....the odd pairs of boots/belts etc I havn't treated have all cracked up and gone to meet the Great Cobbler In The Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Gogga View Post
    Kev,

I'm into my third season now with a single pair of korkers- mine go everywhere, salt, fresh, hikes - you name it - I'm quite hard on my kit - but they have lasted - in-fact the second best where a pair of Sims (looked smart with my G3 waders) - 18 months and they where stuffed.

So yea - I would say they are an excellent buy - I certainly would recommend them to anyone.

BTW - when I first got mine - I was quite convinced that the soles would pop - to be absolutely honest - never happened - in fact it is quite difficult to get them out once in.

All the best
    Mike

Kev, I've had my Korkers for 3 years now with absolutley no problems, they get used on everything from Hiking into small Snowy Mountains streams to salt water rock excursions, no complaints here. I have the felt, aquastealth and trail inserts & have never had one come out although a mate had one of his soles come out when he tried to wade out through the mud in Eucumbene when the lake levels were real low - he sank up to his knees , mind you only one of the soles came out & was still attached by the velcro loop. Altogether a great buy & if you keep your eyes open on ebay you can get some great deals on new ones (watch the postage though)
    Caveat Lector - Listen to advice but think for yourself

There are 10 types of people in this world

those that understand binary and those that don't

What's ur take on these guys?

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    What's ur take on these guys?
    Simms have the best "Value for money" wading boots on the market today.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Pheasant Tail Nymph Banned User

This really made for some interesting reading. I'm in the market for some wading boots and this has really helped.

I have a quick question though to you guys that have bought the Korkers:

What models did you buy? I'm quite young still so price is a definite consideration, but I don't want to fall into a trap of buying the model that won't last?

Also, who else makes wading boots with aquastealth soles? I know of Simms and Korkers.

Thanks,
    PTN
    Last edited by Pheasant Tail Nymph; 15-12-07 at 04:01 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast