Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Felt soled boots

Pheasant Tail Nymph Banned User

Hey guys,

I'm really interested in these aquestealth shoes. If you can please answer those questions in my above post, it would really help me.

Thanks again,
    PTN

Default aquastealth or felt?

Quote Originally Posted by lekker trutta View Post
    Kev, I've had my Korkers for 3 years now with absolutley no problems, they get used on everything from Hiking into small Snowy Mountains streams to salt water rock excursions, no complaints here. I have the felt, aquastealth and trail inserts & have never had one come out although a mate had one of his soles come out when he tried to wade out through the mud in Eucumbene when the lake levels were real low - he sank up to his knees , mind you only one of the soles came out & was still attached by the velcro loop. Altogether a great buy & if you keep your eyes open on ebay you can get some great deals on new ones (watch the postage though)
    I lost my Korker Sole a few weeks ago in a Cape River
    Have just received replacements (ordered felt & aquastealth)
    Curious as to which is the preferred material for boot soles in the Cape and Orange/Vaal systems.
    What do you guys think/use?
    Regards
    Craig

I have a pair of Simms Freestone boots.

They are virtually industructable, but the only spots that have shown serious wear and tear are the felt at the front of the shoes and the heals.
    I have now gone into the rubber subbase. The rest of the shoes are still in good working order.
    I started wondering what can be done to protect the front and heal section.
    Then I remembered from my running days, Shoe Patch, it is a product that you apply to areas that will wear more than the rest of the sole.
    Shoe patch is no longer available, but Sole Saver is the newest product. Available from SPORTSMANS WHAREHOUSE for R36.
    I have applied this to the front 2 cm and back 2 cm of the soles,

If this works well I will apply it to my new sets of boots as well, when I have to replace them.
    The Sole Saver penetrates into the felt and does not leave a blob, it might make walking with the wading shoes even better.

Will keep you guys posted on how effective it is.

Korrie
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post

They are virtually industructable, but the only spots that have shown serious wear and tear are the felt at the front of the shoes and the heals.
    I have now gone into the rubber subbase. The rest of the shoes are still in good working order.
    Then I remembered from my running days, Shoe Patch, it is a product that you apply to areas that will wear more than the rest of the sole.
    Shoe patch is no longer available, but Sole Saver is the newest product. Available from SPORTSMANS WHAREHOUSE for R36.

If this works well I will apply it to my new sets of boots as well, when I have to replace them.
    The Sole Saver penetrates into the felt and does not leave a blob, it might make walking with the wading shoes even better.

Korrie

Hi Korrie, would be very interested to know if this works i have a new pair of boots and have not used them yet.......if i applied the product and it makes no difference will there be any long term effect on the boots.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Korrie why don't you just get them re-soled with felt?

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    Hi Korrie, would be very interested to know if this works i have a new pair of boots and have not used them yet.......if i applied the product and it makes no difference will there be any long term effect on the boots.
    Nicholas
    I don't think there will be a long term effect.
    The liquad/gel soaks into the felt.
    I think it will make the felt a lot more durable. As I have mentioned I have only applied it to the front and back 2cm. This is the area that gets the most wear and tear. You get some boots that have the front and back section with built in rubber pads. So why not DIY?
    I have an old pair of Loop wading boots. I want to wash them clean and apply the Sole Saver onto them over the complete sole.
    Then go to the river and test them out.
    Use your boots in the mean time and I will let you know how it works.
    Might have stumbled onto something that will prolong felt soles. Who knows.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Korrie why don't you just get them re-soled with felt?
    The felt on the Freestones are only worn at the front and back.

I have resoled other boots, they come loose, the felt is not the same quality as on the Simms etc.

For R36 it is worth the try.
    Korrie Broos

Yip it is - my Freestones are still new and the felt needs to wear in a bit - but let me know how it goes. It might be something that I consider down the line.

Thought I would give all of you an update on how well this has worked.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Korrie

After a couple of trips, that involved a lot of walking, the patched toe and heel sections has shown very little wear and tear.
    Have I noticed a difference in the grip of the shoes in the water, I don't think so.
    Up to now, I definitley can say that it has made a difference in prolonging the life of the boots, before it becomes absolutely necesarry to re-sole.
    It has also protected and prolonged the rubber sole between the felt and the section boot.
    So I would say it is worthwhile task to do.
    Korrie Broos

I'm keen to give it a bash - but I'll wait until the boots are a bit more worn in. I only have spent about 100 hours in the boots so far, the felt is still soft and loose on the edges.

I think a patch on the heel and on the toe will be a great way to stop the boots wearing unevenly.
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast