Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Which 5wt reel for Vaal yellows?

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    yes, but it's very difficult to palm a reel when you have a net in one hand, that you are trying to get under the fish, or, if you don't use a net, trying to grab the fish with your other hand.
    I like the idea of buying a cheaper, adequate reel, and spending the extra on a good pair of boots, ......or even a 10 foot rod, hey Michael...one that offers good tippet protection , even with a tightish drag.....
    Sorry Michael, I'm in a stirring mood...
    But how do you use the reel when you have a net in the other hand? When I net fish I simply hold the line with my rod hand.

Anyone who takes a R5k reel on the Vaal has money to burn. Sooner or later you will bin it against a rock. It's inevitable on the Vaal.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    But how do you use the reel when you have a net in the other hand? When I net fish I simply hold the line with my rod hand.

Anyone who takes a R5k reel on the Vaal has money to burn. Sooner or later you will bin it against a rock. It's inevitable on the Vaal.
    Of course...Abel is a gross overkill for the Vaal, but really nice anyway...I think I might have said that.

Why 5wt?

Why not a Stealth SLA 3 or Explorer Ecplise 003?The Arbour on both is way bigger and the weight difference is minimal. Easier line pick up and less line memory when stored for extended periods without use.

Be on the lookout for Explorer's new Eclipse version.Coming to a store near you in the next month or so.Oh and it's black.

Seen the new Shilton CR3 Ultra-Arbor reel? *DROOL*
    It's DAMN nice! Obviously a lot more than a grand...but still way under the Abels, etc.
    That would be my choice, before any other, including Abel, Ross, Nautilus, etc.
    Last edited by Michael; 08-09-09 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Seen the new Shilton CR3 Ultra-Arbor reel? *DROOL*
    It's DAMN nice!
    That would be my choice, before any other including Abel.
    Yes, it's a lovely reel. My only problem with it, is the drag that is quite difficult to get used to. It tends to turn up fast, with only small turns of the grag knob, therfore, easy to over tighten the drag. I prefer a reel that is exactly the opposite, one that turns up only slightly with a big turn of the drag knob. I suppose it amounts to personal preference, but yes, a very nice reel.

I love my Shimano - not sure what they sell for nowdays but the drag is silky smooth

What about the Kilwell Genesis???

I have only fished the Vaal once so my knowledge is very limited, but i fished my Horizon 5wt with my 3-4-5 Kilwell and the reel handled like a beaut. Decent little reel, thats cheap with a nice strong drag system, couldnt really ask for much more.
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart K View Post
    I love my Shimano - not sure what they sell for nowdays but the drag is silky smooth
    Like The Zohan's hair?

I thought it was a matter of preference or fishing style.
    Some anglers control with the reels drag and/or palming and others prefer to control the line with their hands. I tend to use a combination of both by setting the drag 1st (just in case) and then fishing. I think any decent reel could work as long as you are familiar with the drag.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post

Not if it's an Abel
    Fisherman - We're all born honest but we soon get over it!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast