Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Which 5wt reel for Vaal yellows?

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    They look nice. I just dont like that plastic looking drag assembly! O ja......Western Accessories selles them for R640. They also sell a reel with will make Herman drip/drool......an Albe Xtreme. They cost around R400 bucks and are constructed 100% from aluminium - I mean the whole reel is aluminium, the only thing in there thats not aluminium is the teflon drag washer. It runs on 2 ball bearings and 1 one-way clutch bearing. Not bad for a Vaal reel.....or an Albe for that matter!
    I cant see the drag assembly that looks plastic? Looks like metal in this pic, maybe we looking at different reels? I'm asking because I would like a budget 8/9wt reel to use in the salt i.e. estuaries (I only fish the salt once, maybe twice a year so not worth me getting a shilton and the likes, even if I could afford it)

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by delboy View Post
    Erm...so how long have you had your predator for then????

For 3 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Babyson View Post
    I cant see the drag assembly that looks plastic? Looks like metal in this pic, maybe we looking at different reels? I'm asking because I would like a budget 8/9wt reel to use in the salt i.e. estuaries (I only fish the salt once, maybe twice a year so not worth me getting a shilton and the likes, even if I could afford it)

Rob
    Ja sorry, I also re-checked.....I was looking at an Elbe

On talk of Pretator fly reels, note that there is the Pentz Predator that most of us know of but I have also seen another reel in stores that are called Predator Fly reels, I don't think is the same company as the Predator is a LA and the Pentz is not made in LA.
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

They look nice. I just dont like that plastic looking drag assembly! O ja......Western Accessories selles them for R640. They also sell a reel with will make Herman drip/drool......an Albe Xtreme. They cost around R400 bucks and are constructed 100% from aluminium - I mean the whole reel is aluminium, the only thing in there thats not aluminium is the teflon drag washer. It runs on 2 ball bearings and 1 one-way clutch bearing. Not bad for a Vaal reel.....or an Albe for that matter!
    Hmmmm, now I'm wondering, does it come in a 7# ?????
    Are they large, small or medium arbour?????

P.S. Albe is a cricketer ( Morkel )

Elbe is a brand of fishing eq't.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    P.S. Albe is a cricketer ( Morkel )

Elbe is a brand of fishing eq't. :
    ....Ja Herman. That cricketer is an avid flyfisher as well. Some useless info..........

About the reel, yup...they make them in a 7/8. Take it this way....if you like the Shimano BioCraft, you'll smaak this reel. They look nearly idetical....not 100%, but nearly.

...Ja Herman. That cricketer is an avid flyfisher as well. Some useless info..........

About the reel, yup...they make them in a 7/8. Take it this way....if you like the Shimano BioCraft, you'll smaak this reel. They look nearly idetical....not 100%, but nearly.
    Thanks Colin,
    AS you know I love my Shimano Ultegra, and a reel for half the price has me intersted, very interested. I can see me paying a visit some time next week.
    At that price I will most likely get a 3/4 ( for future use ) and a 7/8. The mind is ticking like a bomb here,
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Default I bought a Horizon

Thanks for all the advice guys! After much deliberation I ended up buying a Horizon.

I am sure it will serve me well!!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Gael View Post
    On talk of Pretator fly reels, note that there is the Pentz Predator that most of us know of but I have also seen another reel in stores that are called Predator Fly reels, I don't think is the same company as the Predator is a LA and the Pentz is not made in LA.
    Yup, the pentz predator has no porting and a very simple gold "Predator" label and the weight of the reel i.e. 3-4-5 engraved into it.
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by Gael View Post

That is quite correct. Totaly different reel.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5