Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sad day for the art of cooking fish

Default Sad day for the art of cooking fish

Death of Keith Floyd

This is great loss to the art of cooking,especially the art of cooking fish.....
    I met Keith a couple of times and had the honour of eating and cooking with him back in the early 90's at Floyds Inn, he was a true genius.
    His tyraid's at other TV chefs are legendary here are a few.

Surrounded by alcohol and cigarettes, he was damning about modern TV chefs, dismissing them as a 'bunch of a********' who have become absorbed by fame.

'The ill-conceived idea that all these w*****s who turn up on TV are chefs is a failure to understand the language,' he ranted.

'People who cook are cooks, a chef is a head of a restaurant kitchen. Gordon Ramsay is on a celebrity zig-zag.

'They’ve all been seduced by TV. To be fair, it’s the producers who are at fault not these people.
    'All they can do is assemble pieces of gastronomic Lego without

Read more:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0RB48NoQg
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

"Surrounded by alcohol and cigarettes" a chef that smokes. It is a known fact that smoking causes serious issues with your sense of taste and smell.

I think I will miss Patrick Swayze more. Although I liked the way Floyd used to finish a bottle of red wine whilst cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    "Surrounded by alcohol and cigarettes" a chef that smokes.
    Jeez there speaks someone who is not in the industry.......80% of the worlds greatest chefs could not get out of bed in the morning before they have had a drink and a smoke........ As with great Muscians who wrote most of there best music when they where stoned or on some kind of halucongen(sp) most chefs where or are pissed when they are creating there master pieces,i know this is not eveident at your local spur or KFC but trust me in the real world its the way of life. As for Floyd,the man is a legend at all the above
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

In the words of Gordon Ramsay - Fu*ing Hell!

I enjoyed Floyds exploits on TV. Nic, you were very fortunate to have met the man.
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

HI Nick,

YES!! HE WILL BE MISSED. Followed his pilgrimige kooking eagerly, at most times had a rustic way with food and preperation. One could nearly ''smell'' his dishes he prepared.

R.I.P

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Unhappy

Shame! Really really enjoyed his show! Especially the series Floyd on Africa!. . . The new TV chefs have nothing on him and his unique (often slurring drunk) style

You were very lucky to meet him Nick! Hope you picked up a tip or two
    I'll stay as long as i can fish. . .

Whenever the "club" for geniuses - MENSA - was mentioned, I always wondered if their was an opposite equivalent society for imbeciles. Now I know, it's called ANCYL.

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    HI Nick,

YES!! HE WILL BE MISSED. Followed his pilgrimige kooking eagerly, at most times had a rustic way with food and preperation. One could nearly ''smell'' his dishes he prepared.

R.I.P

DAVE
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Shame! Really really enjoyed his show! Especially the series Floyd on Africa!. . . The new TV chefs have nothing on him and his unique (often slurring drunk) style

You were very lucky to meet him Nick! Hope you picked up a tip or two
    Yes Dave ,very rustic approach which ironically is lost in todays modern interpretation of French food,he bought French food to the English masses,but his knowledge of French food is lengendary,he was the first pomm to open a resteraunt in France,can you imagine the responce of the French,it was as welcome as a pork pie at a jewish wedding.

Hi James,it was a honour and a privalage to meet and briefly work with..
    Any chef of my era was influenced by him in some way...
    James Boswell.

Hi Nick, I also met Keith but on a totally unexpected and informal occasion. It was a Monday noon in Melbourne autumn (drizzle..) also I think in 1990. I was meeting some shipping mates for an early lunch at my local, Station Hotel, Prahran. The 'Men's Bar' was a grand old Victorian pub with a railway track and model trains running round the side of the walls.

There was this very strange character wearing a full-length Drizabone and an Akubra hat sitting in the corner ordering triple whiskies every few minutes in this pukkah Pommie voice. I was drinking one on one but with pots' Sort of half-pint glass size' of VB for every one of his supersized whiskies. When he ordered a Four And Twenty pie and tomato sauce (the equivalent of a Pommie tourist ordering Mopane worms or a boerie roll over here..) I could not believe it...

He asked me what I was doing there and I said I was waiting for some friends. He told me he was doing a TV series in Aussie and he had just been for a tour round the MCG and the local Museum and he was bored sh'tless and he stumbled (probably literally..) upon this pub. Anyway my friends who weren't exactly slow in coming forward joined us and we had one of the funniest and longest lunches I can recall! for every time the train came past where we were sitting we had to have another round..He told us his name was Keith - we had never heard of him then! What a character!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Floyd was well and truly the original and best! As a budding chef, I started watching his shows right from his first series (Floyd on France) - nobody, and that includes all your Ramsey's, fat-toungue mockney Oliver's, Ainsleys - the lot - even come close to Floyd's genuine ability to cut through the crap, and show you what cooking is all about!

It's a sore, sore loss!
    "Is that the new G.Loomis??? Wow! How much is that??

Oh, look, the new Stealth......."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast