Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Yellow Ties

Thanks Korrie...... Got that packet of beads for R4.99. They are coloured bright orange like that as they come. They also have lime green ones which I think I will go and collect as well as a few more packets of orange too.

JANK

The circle hooks are Mustad Ultrapoint size 10.

Zaks are grip caddis XH - 12 -16

One or two grip emerger 18's
    Last edited by dar; 05-10-09 at 09:19 AM.

Just a comment on some of the "bombs" you have tied.

You can tie them slimmer then they will sink faster.
    The really fat ones, have a lot more water resistance.

Play around withe some slimmer ones and you will see, that they end up more effective in getting down.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Nice pictures.
    If I may pass comment - there are LOTS of different flies, but many are VERY similar.
    It would be difficult to carry decent multiple qtys of each fly, in each colour, in different sizes.

Over the years, I have decided to simplify/standardise my fly patterns, so that I have, as a rule, 6 of a fly in a certain colour/shade in (generally) 3 sizes (and thus also weights). This means each pattern/colour combination takes up 1 row in my C&F flybox (spaced in 3's across)
    My colour choices tend to be notably different too.

Some examples

SM patterns:
    My mayfly holo nymphs I carry in #12-16 (scud hook) in colours tan, brown & black.
    Caddis control flies are #6-10/12 (3/4 sizes) in tan, chartreuse & olive.
    Trout patterns:
    BH mayflies in #12-18 - 4 sizes (scud hook) in colours tan, brown & black (tungsten beads in 3.0, 2.5, 2.0 & 1.5mm respectively).
    Last edited by GGY; 05-10-09 at 10:40 AM.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

FlyFanatic Banned User

Great tip gary! It also makes replacing them easier if you lose some..

BUT, being a fly tyer urself, you know how we always want to try a new idea, only tying one of it, which turns out to be the best fly ever and then you end up losing it after a couple of fishes.. and then for some reason you never quite can remember how it was tied..

Just joking, i really enjoy fly tying, and creating new flies all the time is part of the fun of it for me. Dont get me wrong, its great and really rewarding tying ur first humpy and getting the proportions spot on, or when you burn the eyes of ur dragon nymph to precisely the right proportions, but creating a "new" fly from scratch, and it ends up being THE fly the next day, well nothing beats that!

P.S. How bout a pic of ur fly box Gary?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFanatic View Post
    Great tip gary! It also makes replacing them easier if you lose some..

BUT, being a fly tyer urself, you know how we always want to try a new idea, only tying one of it, which turns out to be the best fly ever and then you end up losing it after a couple of fishes.. and then for some reason you never quite can remember how it was tied..
    P.S. How bout a pic of ur fly box Gary?
    I tie up 3 flies of a new/modified pattern - this makes sure that I can properly test it, without having to worry that I lose it. In addition, I generally make a few changes between fly 1-3 - nothing big, but I am always looking at simplifying/improving ease of tying, so fly 3 often looks like fly 1, but may be easier to tie...

For example, I have just changed the UTC ribbing diameter from Medium to Brassie on my control flies, and from Brassie to Small on my mayfly nymphs. This happened after I saw the pictures of my flies in Favoured flies Vol 4, where up close in the photo's, the ribbing looks too pronounced. I have also started adding 1 turn of CDC as legs to my mayfly patterns, but I don't always do this...

I will take some pics of my SM box, when I have a chance (and have filled in some gaps.)
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

FlyFanatic Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    I tie up 3 flies of a new/modified pattern - this makes sure that I can properly test it, without having to worry that I lose it. In addition, I generally make a few changes between fly 1-3 - nothing big, but I am always looking at simplifying/improving ease of tying, so fly 3 often looks like fly 1, but may be easier to tie...
    Well now that makes sense! I should stop these one of a type creations..

Some very nice flies here for yellows.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2