Thread: EC Yellows

Default EC Yellows

Hey Guys

I'm headin up to the EC for the Dec holidays - Scouring the forum for info I've found out that there are Yellows in the Fish rivers, and parts of their tribs. I'll be on a farm on the Kat River, anyone heard of any fishing being caught that high up? It Joins the little Fish just below Fort Beaufort where I'll be staying.

The Fish rivers sounds like my best bet, but cant find any info on where exactly to fish, how to get there and so on. Can anyone pls help me out? I've spent many hours online and on google earth trying to plot a coarse, but I feel local knowledge would go a longway in helping my cause.

Also plan on doing some troot fishing around the area, if anyone could offer a hint pls feel free to mention it!

Any help would be great, thanks allot guys.

Jade

Hi jade, you need to remeber one simple rule of thumb for yellows in the Eastern Cape. If the river is a tributary of the Orange, (and most are) it will have yellowfish at some stage of the year. December is probably a good time to go looking for them. There are some yellowfish in a few of the Southern Cape rivers as well, that are not tribs of the Orange, but they were introduced.
    Any river in the Vaal Orange system will have yellows.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Fantastic - Thanks very much Andre

Thats good news for me, my girls farm has quite a few km's of river frontage on the Kat River just about 10km outside Fort Beauford. Sure I can get access to a few more pieces of water through the local farmers and try do some exploring.

Scares me to think somewhere I have spent months could have prime Yella's lying literaly 50ms from the farmhouse. Its going to take some bushwhacking tho.

My parents came from Keiskammahoek,a small town in that area.My dad used to always tell me of the huge trout that were in the local rivers.I think in this day and age there is probably nothing left of what once was.The fish river should be your best bet.It however runs murky most times,but I am not fimiliar with that area you going.It is still going to be fun prospecting a new,probably unfished river.ENJOY

Best bet would be to P.M. Clarias, he ff and knows this area well.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

The Kat flows east, but does have SM Yellows, leftover from the splitting of the watershed, I think... but there be really good fishing in those parts... PM sent.
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...