Thread: Breede flow rate

Default Breede flow rate

On the 7th of November 2009 the flow rate in the Breede (measured at Secunda near Bonnievale) has dropped to 1,7 cumecs per second, and I suspect this is mainly caused by extraction by farmers.

After the recent rains the river flows at 206 cumecs per second. Less than a week later.

I'm pretty sure that this fluctuation of flow rates must have a negative impact on the marine life in the estuary/mouth. Surely all saltwater fish are flushed out to sea?

Anyone with more info on flow fluctuation in estuaries?

Flow rates peaked at 352 cumecs on Saturday.

Conrad
    For years I have been following the Breede flow rates at this time of the year, to plan my bass drift trips.

This happens very regulary. With the water levels dropping and rising.
    Most of the salt water fish in estuaries are tolerant to 'sweet water'.

If it gets to sweet/fresh, they will migrate down stream, to the mixing zone and as soon as it gets more salt, with the normal tidal movements, they will move upstream again.

The highest I have seen the Breede on the charts have been at over 2000 cumecs. (yes, two thousand cumecs) it reaches regulary in the Cape Winter 700 cumecs.

I think the fish are used to it. The biggest problem is over fishing, not the fresh water.

Peter McGregor said to me over the weekend, that annually 40 tons of fish is taken out of the Breede river system (salt section). That is what causes the problems.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Conrad

The highest I have seen the Breede on the charts have been at over 2000 cumecs. (yes, two thousand cumecs) it reaches regulary in the Cape Winter 700 cumecs.

Peter McGregor said to me over the weekend, that annually 40 tons of fish is taken out of the Breede river system (salt section). That is what causes the problems.
    2000 cumecs!!! Holy cow, that must be a sight to behold.

It's amazing to see the complete absence of any control as to what people catch in the Breede River. I've never seen any nature conservation officials there. I wonder if the 'one cob per angler per day' law has had any impact on the amount of fish taken?

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Botes View Post
    2000 cumecs!!! Holy cow, that must be a sight to behold.

It's amazing to see the complete absence of any control as to what people catch in the Breede River. I've never seen any nature conservation officials there. I wonder if the 'one cob per angler per day' law has had any impact on the amount of fish taken?
    Hi Conrad

My family has been going to Infanta (opp Witsands) on the Breede since my old man was a kid. While the estuary is not nearly as productive as it was in its hey-days, it has fished better in recent years thanks to a permanent CNC station on the Infant side. Its a large area to monitor but they are very active, and we regularly have CNC officials checking boats and shore-fishermen. The estuary was heavily over-fished a decade or so ago, but we've noticed allot of estuary fish making a come-back. Especially the grunter and small kob in recent years.

Ha ha I was once stopped as a learner driver with my father on the Dirt road to Infanta by a military convoy, packing all sort of high powered fully automatic guns, searching the car and myself for abalone!

Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    Hi Conrad

My family has been going to Infanta (opp Witsands) on the Breede since my old man was a kid. While the estuary is not nearly as productive as it was in its hey-days, it has fished better in recent years thanks to a permanent CNC station on the Infant side. Its a large area to monitor but they are very active, and we regularly have CNC officials checking boats and shore-fishermen. The estuary was heavily over-fished a decade or so ago, but we've noticed allot of estuary fish making a come-back. Especially the grunter and small kob in recent years.

Ha ha I was once stopped as a learner driver with my father on the Dirt road to Infanta by a military convoy, packing all sort of high powered fully automatic guns, searching the car and myself for abalone!

Thats very good to hear!