Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tatics for estuarine Cob ?

Quote Originally Posted by petercoetzee View Post
    whats the biggest Kob any of the posters has caught on fly? just out of interest....
    Nada... thats why i give advice on how to catch them on bait!

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    Must have been a big bull nosed mullet? I bet when you hit your finger with it it became a bast@rd mullet
    Classic thanx Jock0, to correct myself then "tenderizing mallet" as in see attached pic
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

Quote Originally Posted by kyle-J View Post
    Live mullet on a running trace! sit back and have a few cold ones!
    Nothing better than live bait! Otherwise chokka.

Quote Originally Posted by petercoetzee View Post
    whats the biggest Kob any of the posters has caught on fly? just out of interest....
    A whopping 41cm!! BOOYA!
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Scythe

I'm with Mark on this one. At Stillbaai there is nothing better than a smallish live Mullet. Dont go too far for the fish either. The area just up from the road bridge is best.

Enjoy
    MC

Booger Rose Banned User

Live mullet - or any other smal fishy you can get - gorries and streepies works great. Streepies also a great bait to fillet and it is a lot of fun catching them - try on fly as well.

If you only have bait - make sure you have enough to rebait every ten minutes or so. Chokka and pillies the best - the chokka keeps a bit longer when the small fishies are pecking away. Small fish taking you bait is not a bad thing - the action attracts other fish and you just need to bait up a lot.

Fillet the pillie and put on a lekker big bait, a grunter might also put on a surprise visit. For a lot of info regarding bait presentation etc. visit www.sealine.co.za Lots of super info for bait fishing.

Live mullet just above the bridge as well as quite a way above the bridge where the steep rocky drop offs are...Swinging a whole sardine with the current right on the bottom works too..

Cheers
    "I see the fly float gently down out of the air and land on target. For less than an instant I think, how can this be? Did I actually do that? But there is no time to contemplate philosophy or magic or the rewards of hard work. A trout is on the move..." - Ed Engle, Fishing Small Flies

As has already been suggested here, it is very hard to go past a live bait, but having said that when livies were difficult to get, fresh Karranteen butterflied and folded wrong way round was awesome.

We used to fish this all the time at Doonside, Illovo and the Umkomass River mouth in the day. If the 'Daga salmon were there we got them!
    Also used to find the colder the night, the better chances we had of success - mostly winter fishing along the Natal South Coast.

Hope you come right - they are awesome eating!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkK View Post
    In the river at Stilbaai you won't find anything better than a live mullet. Try to get some bait in the 15cm size range and keep them alive in a bait bucket. Pretty much anything other than live bait will be attacked by small fish or crabs. Traditionally, a whole, skinned octopus leg also works, but I can't bring myself to kill an octopus for bait anymore. (Fly fishing has made me soft...)
    Much of the advice regarding Cob sounds about on the money and my vote goes for the live mullet, but it can be boring if you are just sitting there waiting. Some good fresh chokka bait does work good also, but a nice octupus leg works so much better... an old toppie once showed me a trick that I tried whereever I could. It is always a shame to kill an octopus for a leg or two, so this old toppie told me to cut only one or maximum two legs off the octopus and then let him go. This way the octopus can grow back the leg or two and go on to make more offspring!!! Maybe some would say it is cruel, but then again its better than killing it!!

On the other hand I enjoyed endless fun catching cob on dropshot, but you have to use braid and a good rod/reel set-up to realy work.

Anyway, enjoy the fishing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkK View Post
    In the river at Stilbaai you won't find anything better than a live mullet. Try to get some bait in the 15cm size range and keep them alive in a bait bucket. Pretty much anything other than live bait will be attacked by small fish or crabs. Traditionally, a whole, skinned octopus leg also works, but I can't bring myself to kill an octopus for bait anymore. (Fly fishing has made me soft...)
    Markus,

Cut off one leg. It grows back again. You dont have to kill then.
    There is 7 times more water than land! Surely The Lord meant man to fish 7 times more than work!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2