Thread: Ecological trajedy.

Thumbs down Ecological trajedy.

Translated from a report published in the Vaal Weekblad, dated 14-16 Feb 2007.
    The recent deaths of hudreds of Carp,Moggel,and Mudfish in a dam next to the Parys/Vredefort road has been viewed by professionals as an ecological tragedy. Water samples were taken from "Pietie se Pan" as the dam is known by fishermen, by the Department of Water Affairs' pollution division. The results of the tests show that there were very low oxygen levels in the samples which more than likely lead to the fish deaths.This was probably caused by sewerage flows from the oxidation dams at the Vredefort municiple sewerage works into the Lesothospruit ( which flows into the dam).
    Unquote.

No further mention is made of corrective/preventitive/punitive action, if any,that has been taken.
    The Vredefort Dome is a "World Heritage Site". Maybe they should rename it to " A SEWER RUNS THROUGH IT".
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Where is Pietie se pan ? Before or after Parys from the N1 ?

If before, is it on the right hand side or the left hand side of the road, and is it indeed visible from the road ? If it is, I know of it.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

What a shame...

I'm not sure of the exact location of the dam, but from the report it would appear that it's after Parys. I will do some digging and find out. I will also be travelling that road on Saterday and will see if I can physically find the place.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

After Parys
    No PAIN No Gain

hi guys
    thought i'd send a pic, of the conditions that our WP ladies fished in recently, at a dam in PE. The dam is the Noord Einde Meer. they removed 2 tons of glass before the event started and a further 2.5 tons during the event. that's only glass, no other rubbish. one lady sunk in the mud and had to be pulled out with a bakkie. don't you just get peed off when you see how the public recreational facilities are being reduced to rubbish dumps? like philip said recently it's not that many years before we are going to stuff up all our resources. the sad thing is that a lot of our venues are looking like this. anyway i was pi##ed off when i saw the pics.
    cheers
    Last edited by rols; 07-07-08 at 02:14 PM.
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]