Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Our green & gold - Clanwilliam Yellowfish

Default Our green & gold - Clanwilliam Yellowfish

I've posted comments submitted on the catch reports..These are the two last posts on the catch report. To view all the comments see the attachment. It was suggested I start a thread, to see other peoples opinions and for others to enlighten us on the subject..

Regards

Ryan

Comment by: Herman Lombard 2009-12-11

Thanks Adriaan. Wow , the figures are scary. I do love fishing for smallmouth ( my favourite fish in fact - even more than trout ) , but not at the expense of yellows. I've been trying for alternative species on fly , including "witvis" at Jonkershoek , but no luck yet. Yes , sorry Ryan , we should probably have done this in the forum ( maybe we should start a new discussion group about the Olifants system - there's definitely enough interest).
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Comment by: adriaan sieberhagen 2009-12-11

Catching bass is great, i love it. And no one have to worry about their bass fishing being threatened. There will be plenty of bass to catch, but watch, the latest newcomer, barbel/catfish allready start impacting on them as has happened in theewaterskloof dam and currently in the breede and berg mainstream. Ridding river systems like the olifants/doring, the bree and berg of bass (or any specific species) is not possible, it just cannot be done. you can dream about it but it cannot be done. And for that matter its not on the agenda of CNC or anyone. What they are tryng to achieve with the new zoning legislation is pretty much protect that last 10% of area where indigenous species are still able to breed succesfully. Yes they have a alien fish eradication program, and again this will be aimed to increase the refuge areas for indigenous species. This can only be done at very limited areas where its deemed feasible. The positive impact on the long term survival of indigenous species will be substantial, with zero impact on angling. The hype around this topic is really unneccesary, and the arguments that went round and round was mostly of the real topic. For example, I am tottaly for the fact that something drastically needs to be done for our W-Cape indigenous, but i am also for the argument that certain of the rivers should maintain their trout status and be managed as such (which is the case). I will kill al bass (and actively target them in order to kill them) in rivers such as the ratels, dwars and matjies rivers where indigenous fish still occur and breed/attempt to breed, but find it senseless to kill bass in the mainstream middle/lower olifants, doring and breede for example and dont do it. And i am totally against the use of rotenone or any other poison in any of our rivers, CNC and the project eia just did not convince me that it is a responsible action. What i am trying to illustrate is that whenever this topic are being discussed, emotions flare up and battle lines get drawn to protect self interests, all which is fine but unfortunartely if you throw into the mix lack of facts and understanding, little is achieved at the end, you might just get some name calling. But I think it could be a good idea to have this on the forum, there is several people on there who have much better experience and insight into the issues. Maybe Ryan, or you Herman, should post on the forum. Maybe copy paste the discussion so far into it as a opener, and then we take it from there and see where it go. cheers
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Hey chaps,

I'd suggest reading the attachment first to see where the topic is going and before people take things up the wrong way.. It's purely to create awareness around our indigenous fish..

Enjoy

Herman, Adriaan & Ryan

Thanks for the post. It is indeed interesting to read. Must agree, many of us would like to make that tick next to thename of Clainwilliam yellows on the list of species caught on fly. But said, at the cost of the Clainwilliam Yellows? There is many of us that is aware of these yellows but not many will do the effort to do the 3 hour hike.

It takes big b@alls to make such a post and hopefully all will work together to protect the Green&Gold
    "Vermoëns is wat mens in staat is om te doen... Motivering, bepaal wat mens doen... Gesindheid bepaal HOE mens dit doen.." ¬ Lou Holtz

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Herman, Adriaan & Ryan

Thanks for the post. It is indeed interesting to read. Must agree, many of us would like to make that tick next to thename of Clainwilliam yellows on the list of species caught on fly. But said, at the cost of the Clainwilliam Yellows? There is many of us that is aware of these yellows but not many will do the effort to do the 3 hour hike.

It takes big b@alls to make such a post and hopefully all will work together to protect the Green&Gold
    There are venues where doesn't always have to hike forever, but may have to dive a bit.. I'd certainly like to get in touch with some chaps who may be able to take me a long to one or two venues even if I need to hike a bit..All adds to the venture I suppose.. To land one of a nice size is certainly something I'd like very much! We need to look after them though and that's why people need to be informed of the current situation.

There are some venues that are outstanding, and you don't have to hike. They are however, qhite well protected by the landowners and the guys who have taken the trouble to build a relationship with the landowner, and therefore, keep the locations very much under the hat.
    You will not even know that these places exist, as the guys don't even talk about them.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

In the first post, Ryan mentioned ridding the Olifants/Doring system of bass.

The sad news is that the first reports of barbel in Clanwilliam Dam have come to light.
    This is truly sad news. And only time will tell what the long term effect will be on the whole system. As the barbel will or do have the ability to clean out the bass/bluegill and the Clanwilliam yellowfish.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

hey chaps,

Will the barbel in Clan William dam neccessarily be a problem? They seem to have little effect on the yellows in Sterkies, and the vaal...

Also I've fished loads of water and not seen or caught many small yellows but they populations seem fine.

thoughts?
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    hey chaps,

Will the barbel in Clan William dam neccessarily be a problem? They seem to have little effect on the yellows in Sterkies, and the vaal...

Also I've fished loads of water and not seen or caught many small yellows but they populations seem fine.

thoughts?
    Yes, it will be a major problem. bear in mind that the yellowfish population on the locations you mentioned, is far more widespread than the Olifants system, and therefore able to control the barbel population to an extent. This cant happen in the Olifants, as the barbel will breed anywhere, but the yellows are more resticted to thier ideal habitat. You won't find as many baby barbel, and Clanwilliam yellows comming into contact with each other. What is more likely, is that the barbell will encroach into the few remaining breeding areas of the Clanwilliams.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Byron
    There are a couple of reasons.
    The CW yellows, evolved in a ecosystem without any natural predators.
    So they have no natural "defence or fear mechanism to the barbel
    The Barbel, can muddy up the water.
    The barbel have the potential to decimate the bass population as in the Breede system.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Default Clainwilliam Yellows-Restriction

One of my target specie for 2010 was and is a Clainwilliam. The size does not really matter, but its all about the photo. And for this I have been skimping on those that do know to take me. Unfortunately a friend pull out for this coming week-end. But as it is, I have been contacted yesterday to guide for Clainwilliams. So on the phone to book a venue, but to my surprise all accommodation is fully booked for recommended 1st and 2nd choice venues. That is the huts and camping site....fully fully booked.

So I spend some time on the internet google for Clainwilliams. To my surprise I found the following website www.favisa.co.za
    (Click on FISH on the left side. Click on Clainwilliams and read.) Further down you will find in read:
    November 2009
    It was recently brought to my attention that the Western Cape Authorities governing over the conservation side of things has put the Clanwilliam Yellowfish on the Endangered list and now has to following laws to accompany it:

- It is illegal to catch, contain or kill any Clanwilliam Yellowfish.
    - I may only be caught by permitted people in a research authority and for relocation purposes by the same concerning groups.
    - Thus, no recreational fisherman, conventional or fly fishing may set out to catch, or target these fish for whatever purpose.

Is this news to everyone? For me it is! Is it a matter of: Target this specie, but dont get caught yourself? What to do now?
    "Vermoëns is wat mens in staat is om te doen... Motivering, bepaal wat mens doen... Gesindheid bepaal HOE mens dit doen.." ¬ Lou Holtz

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast