Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Releasing Fish - Do they survive?

Question Releasing Fish - Do they survive?

Hey guys
    After reading the article about the 82 kilo Cob i must firstly say that it is one magnificent fish and so happy that it was released. Now that brings me to my question, do fish survive when released with hooks in their gut?? surely to catch a fish that big and because of its size i presume that it must have been hooked deep in its gut. For instance when fishing with circle hooks it will usually hook the fish in the corner of the mouth, but when fishing with normal bait or live bait with standard hooks the fish usually swallows it whole and is hooked in the gut.

It's all good and well to bite the line off and release the fish but has any research been done to know whether these fish do actually survive. In my conventional days i released many fish that were hooked down in its belly and was always curious/worried to know if they would survive.

i think if u are useing ss hooks then chances of survival are slim.reckon we all hope that any other nön ss hook will rust out.obviously there will always be damage done,either way.agreed that generally live bait is taken deeper and chances of a successful release are slim.if you are fishing with bait and a standard hook and react quickly to a take you wont hook a fish deep.but if you are slow to react or you have your rod in a holder with your ratchet on then the fish has longer to swallow the bait and hence hook it deeper.
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

They have a hell of a better chance to survive when you release them than not releasing them.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    They have a hell of a better chance to survive when you release them than not releasing them.
    Nothing gets past you Cpt Obvious
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

FlyFanatic Banned User

lol korrie!!

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    LOL, korrie.........

Hahaha
    I'm not addicted to fishing, I can quit anytime my wife makes me!!

I agree with Korrie sentiments, but as most of us on here know, you stil need to try your best to give the fish every chance.

I dont really buy into the theory that hooks will rust out but its still better to leave the hook in than try and perform some form of emergency surgery on the beach, off the back of the boat etc. There was an article in on of the fly mags recently where they left some popular hooks, both SS and Non-SS, underwater for 60 days. After 60 days in the ocean not one had show any significant signs of corrosion and at the rate they were oxidising it looked liked they'd last at least a year or two.
    Check your knots!

The prob is when brutos swims off Pietie is all happy and boast about his big fish to all his mates and what not.Little does he know that that fish only kick the bucket 12 hours later.

My info is not an opinion, it's fact from someone I know in high places.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 14-01-10 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Umhlangarox View Post
    Nothing gets past you Cpt Obvious
    HA HA HA Funny stuff...
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast