Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: State of SA Rivers

Default Floods Already Helping

I don't know if anyone else has been watching the "conductivity: levels at the Barrage since they opened the sluices last Sunday?
    The higher the conductivity figure the more "crap, silt, metals, sulphates, etc. there is in the water.
    To run a High Pressure Boiler you need to take out all the crap mentioned above and use virtually distilled water with a conductivity of 1 - 3. To attain this they put water though a demin plant.

OK now the lesson is over, the "normal" condutivity at the Barrage is anywhere from 60 - 80 odd. That means there is a lot of "foreign matter " in the water.
    Since they increased the flows and opened the Vaal Dam sluices the conductivity has dropped from 60odd to 34 to 29 today.

That's good news indeed, ito cleaning the whole system, all the way to the Orange.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    I don't know if anyone else has been watching the "conductivity: levels at the Barrage since they opened the sluices last Sunday?
    The higher the conductivity figure the more "crap, silt, metals, sulphates, etc. there is in the water.
    To run a High Pressure Boiler you need to take out all the crap mentioned above and use virtually distilled water with a conductivity of 1 - 3. To attain this they put water though a demin plant.

OK now the lesson is over, the "normal" condutivity at the Barrage is anywhere from 60 - 80 odd. That means there is a lot of "foreign matter " in the water.
    Since they increased the flows and opened the Vaal Dam sluices the conductivity has dropped from 60odd to 34 to 29 today.

That's good news indeed, ito cleaning the whole system, all the way to the Orange.
    I'm familiar with Demin water Herman, and from what you've mentioned here, I like what I hear!!!!
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I'm familiar with Demin water Herman, and from what you've mentioned here, I like what I hear!!!!
    Conductivity for the last week has been between 21 and 23, Whoooohoooo, our river is being flushed and cleaned.
    Loch Vaal was virtually drained with the straight through flow caused by opening all the gates at the barrage. the 2000 odd tons from the Vaal dam have scoured the old water course of all the crap that was lying in the bottom above the barrage.
    Yes there have been fish deaths, and plenty of them, but IMHO, the river above the barrage was hopeless overstocked, as were all venues below the barrage.

What's concerning to me though is that there have been no reports of dead Bass. The Vaal is "vervuil" with Bass from The dam wall all the way to Potch and beyond, and not one report of 1 dead bass.

These aliens seem to survive anything.

My Dad was at the dam and he said that a large number of the the dead fish where grass carp. Does any one know what the predominant species dying is? Bass seek out structure and will feed on the newly covered grass in these areas the flow is less and thus they will survive. The grass carp will definaly not be missed!!!
    Any way my humble opinion

O, Demin is demineralization. Salts dissociate in water forming ions making the water more conductive. Conductivity is thus only an indication of dissolved ions n the water. In a boiler temp and pressure increases and steam is formed leaving all the minerlas in the water phase. The solubility of the water is exeeded due to the high concentration. Cousing the minerals to persipitate out forming salt scale on the sides of the boilers which corrode and stuff up nozzles. Thats why most salts are presippetated out before entering any boiler. My little lecture...

Below the barrage it is sadly not only the grass carp feeling it, there is actually very few of them to be seen dead, there I spotted muddies, yellows SM and LM, moggel, grass carp very very few and carp. Spotted zero bass, they do seem to survive anything don't they?
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

Now, That is very Sad!

Can't we organise a march to protest the state of our sewerage and water systems and general lack of respect for our most valuable resource..... water? Or do we all sit and whinge and whine without doing anything about it?

I know we are probably not supposed to mention other forum's on here but I saw this today on Sealine and was pretty shocked.!

http://www.sealine.co.za/view_topic....um_id=4&page=7

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    I know we are probably not supposed to mention other forum's on here but I saw this today on Sealine and was pretty shocked.!

http://www.sealine.co.za/view_topic....um_id=4&page=7
    Very, very sad news for that particular piece of water. Sickening really.
    Andrew Schlosser

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left - Seasick Steve

Maybe I missed what I was supposed to read, however the Article on the Grass Carp being "GOOD" for the Vaal system stuns me.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast