Thread: Fly Swap - Glassy - Fly Talk/Dr. Slick Feb./March Swap

Default Fly Swap - Glassy - Fly Talk/Dr. Slick Feb./March Swap

Hi Guys,

Thanks to all who participated in the last (damsel) swap. The standard of patterns received were really outstanding and I am sure more and more fly patterns will be developed this way.

This swap is also a bit different. I found this gilchristella/estuarine round herring on the rocks at Infanta. When these little fishies are around the bigger boys go absolutely noonoos. The length is approximately 7cm. The freshwater guys can also partcipate and later adapt the pattern to imitate barb/ghieliemientjie species

Gary from Stealth came on board and sponsored a Dr. Slick Ceramic bobbin valued in the region of R 150.00 for the winner of each fly swap. We will post all the flies on the forum for all to see. The flies will be judged by MC, myself and Mark Krige.

Rules

- Deadline for entries - 15 February 2010
    - Deadline to post flies – 15 March 2010, this is when we should have your flies.
    - Supply a self addressed padded envelope with your postage details when you send your flies, it should be in the region of R 30.00 including postage to us and the return postage. Ensure they put sufficient stamps on the return envelope.
    - Put your flies in a sturdy, crush proof container, like an empty pill container, you will receive this container back with all the other participants' flies.
    - Supply your name, forum name and a contact number.
    - Send the tracking number of your parcel to flytalk@telkomsa.net – very important!

Send the flies to:

Fly Talk
    Somerset Mall Post Office Counter

Let the creative juices flow and start tying. Please list your name below to join the fly swap.

Cheers,

Philip

Here's a better pic:

Where's Sudesh...he should show you guys his "Night-Time Glassy". Brilliant pattern!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Where's Sudesh...he should show you guys his "Night-Time Glassy". Brilliant pattern!
    yeah, one of the best.
    http://www.bamba.co.za/Flies.htm#Night%20Time%20Glassy
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

The pic is probably a Cape silverside or maybe a estaurine round herring.

The Glassies as they are known here is a slightly different looking fish - normally shorter deeper body with shiny belly and overall olive appearance. Sorry no pics to show differnce. They swarm around most structure and piers in the Durban harbour and are deadly bait. Glassies are the curry Rotti's of the Durban Bay fish world!

Probably not so easy to imitate as the other 2 species that can be tied slender as in case of the Surf Candy. Calling them all Sprats would probably be less confuzing.

Hi guys.. didn't anyone take part in this one?
    The first of Philip's pics is a Cape silversides, and the second (better) pic an estuarine roundherring, but similar flies will imitate both equally well. I've had quite a bit of luck fishing surf candy-based imitations of these in the last couple of months.
    An interesting observation I made while snorkling in the Touw river, was that under water, the silversides' lateral stripe didn't appear silver, but flashy green. I incorporated this into my imitations, which seemed to impress the leeries a little more than patterns with a silver lateral stripe.. You can't see the lateral stripe in my pics, cos it's just one strand of heavier flash tied in through the centre of the body material, if you know what I mean. The chartreuse version is a lekka searching pattern for leeries, and I've hooked and broken off two nice sarda sarda on it in January. Another smaller version I tie uses some pink floss for the belly instead of mylar tubing. This was inspired by Conrad Botes' Steve Austin pattern, and while I've taken a few leeries and a whole bunch of moonies on it, I'm gonna give it a shot when next I go try to get my first blacktail on fly.. again.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by LeRoy; 11-03-10 at 12:46 AM.
    "I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

Nice LeRoy! Vat seker redelik lank om daai flies te maak?

If there is one swapper he'll take the Ceramic Bobbin, problem is the deadline is Monday.

Any ideas on the next fly swap, to attract more than 0 swappers?

Regards,

Philip

Talking

And if there's only one swapper I only need to send one fly, right?

Willie, the flies are actually pretty easy to tie, it's just the waiting for the different layers of epoxy to dry that can get a bit tedious. One of them ends up taking about an hour to make. But it's worth it! Going out to the big blue again tomorrow to go look for bonnies, even though they've been pretty hard to find this season. If we don't find any bonnies we'll try and have some fun with the elf. They're thick at the moment.
    Cheers!
    "I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

Nice flies Leroy. Thanks for sharing the observation re the lateral line. Pretty interesting, I'm going to have have to whip up a few tied this way!
    "I'm just a beer drinker with a flyfishing problem"