Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Flipper

Default Flipper

I see the other Flippers' pics had been deleted somehow:

Over the past ten years the Flipper has gained tremendous popularity as a regular taker of numerous saltwater species along the South African coast. Developed and popularized by Hoosen Bobat and Sudesh Pursad along the Kwazulu Natal coast, various kingfish species, springer/skipjack, elf/shad and leerfish/garrick (WOW, so much for uniformity in naming fish) are regularly fooled by this fly pattern.

Bass also respond well to the enticing injured-like action of the Flipper. The Flipper can be exceptionally productive during more calm conditions when the fish don’t respond well to a noisy popper.

Fish this fly with an erratic retrieve, imitating an injured baitfish. Another distinct advantage is the ease of tying, this is one of the first fly patterns newcomers to fly tying should attempt, creating confidence and an effective fly.

Recipe

Hook: Mustad 34007 / S71S SS # 4 - # 2/0 or any other longish shank hook.
    Thread: 6/0 or 140 UTC White
    Tail: Bucktail (can be combined with synthetics like Steve Farrar Flash Blend)
    Abdomen: Closed cell foam
    Body: Crystal chenille, Body Braid or Flashabou
    Flash: Flashabou
    Eyes: Doll’s eyes optional

Step 1

Cover the hook shank with thread and tie in the bucktail at the bend of the hook with a pinch loop. Top the bucktail with 6 strands of flashabou, extending slightly past the bucktail tips. Top the flashabou with more bucktail, this ensures the limper flash doesn’t foul while casting. Cut a piece of foam 1.5 times the hook shank length and approximately 1/3 of the shank length wide. Cut a “V” in the one end, which will accommodate the tail of the fly.

Step 2

Tie in the foam on top of the shank, positioned with the “V” extending over the tail. Apply Sally Hansen or head cement to the thread and secure the foam with 4 more firm thread wraps. Secure with a half hitch.

Step 3

Tie in the Crystal chenille in front of the foam, apply head cement to the hook shank, this will make for a more durable fly.

Step 4

Wrap the chenille forward, stroking the fibers back after each turn, tie off and trim the tag. Take the foam over the top of the body and secure with thread wraps (apply head cement to the thread). Whip finish.

Step 5

Colour the gill area with a red marker pen or alternatively tie in red Flouro Fiber. Attach doll’s eyes with super glue (gel type) or Bostik Clear glue.

Thanks for the re-do, great fly as stated, newbies should really appreciate this piece.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Great looking fly, I've tied a couple (looks nothing like that though) but havnt used them in the salt though, worked a treat on bass. But heres my question: How do you get the flipper to handle a faster retrieve when after Kingfish? My bass ones would spin if pulled too fast. Would a slow retrieve entice a Kingfish on the surface?

Hi Jody,

I would think the front lip on your Flipper might be too long or the hook you use too light. Can you maybe post a picture of your Flipper.

Cheers

If your flipper is spinning try shorten the lip and round the corners. If you're shortening the lip cut a slit at the "bend", remove some material and then glue the bend in place to stiffen it up. You'll get a better action from less lip.
    Check your knots!

Alternatively cut your foam smaller relative to your hook size. And tie a longer sparser tail. This should help with stability. Also make sure your body is symetrical, cut in straight lines and tied on straight too. You can also leave out the crystal chenille and just wrap some flash around the hook shank (I tie my flippers like this).

Hope this helps....
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Quote Originally Posted by nkula_nkula View Post
    Alternatively cut your foam smaller relative to your hook size. And tie a longer sparser tail. This should help with stability. Also make sure your body is symetrical, cut in straight lines and tied on straight too. You can also leave out the crystal chenille and just wrap some flash around the hook shank (I tie my flippers like this).

Hope this helps....
    Spot on!! Sparser flies are in the long run more productive on the water than overtide ''vice'' flies that impress fisherman, good tip from you here.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Thanks for those tying tips guys. Will tie up some more and maybe they'll work better.

I'd appreciate it if you guys could tell me where can I find "closed cell" foam?

Should be able to get it at most fly shops. The std size is 2mm thick.There are other thicknesses available but not very common locally.

Or u could glue 2 x pieces of 2mm together.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast