Thread: Popper SBS

Default Popper SBS

I have been playing around with some popper the last few days and though I might as well take some pics while at it. As it normaly turns out the one that you are taking pictures of is not my best one, but here it is anyway.

Materials.

Hook: Mustad C68S
    Head: Foam
    Tail: Ostrich herl and flash
    Eyes: Stick on
    Legs: Grazy legs
    Hackle: Olive

1. I use some foam that I got from a tackle shop. I think the bait guys use it for putting inside bait.

2. Use your scissors or knife to shape the foam and make a shalow indentation in front of the foam.

THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."
    ~by Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly

3. Use thick needle to push a hole in the foam for where the hook must go through.

4. Push your hook through the hole and centre the foam. I put some superglue on the hook shank to prevent the foam from slipping or spinning.

5. Tie the foam down with your thread. You can now let your imagination run wild and colour the foam any colour that you want. I went for the polka dot look here, but it didn't turn out to great in the end. You can also colour it after your first coat of epoxy, but I like to do it now as the colour seeps into foam which to me looks better. If you want sharper colours then do it after the first coat of epoxy.

6. Put on your stick on eyes and cover the foam in 5min epoxy and let dry.
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."

7. Thake a mix colour of ostrich herl and flash and tie in as a tail. You can off course substitute the herl for any thing you like.

8. Tie down 3 piece of the ostrich herl and wind forward around the hook shank.

9. Tie in your hackle of choice and wind forward and secure. Whip finish at this point and cut of thread.

THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

10. Poke a hole slightly to the back and below the eyes. Stick your threader through and insert some crazy legs into the threader. Pull through and center the legs. I pull the legs slightly to much to one side and the add a drop or two of super glue before centering the legs again.

Finished fly.

A few popper together.

THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

Brilliant Morne, just brilliant. How do they pop? when I tie proppers with a lot of water absorbant feathers, they dont cast very well due the weight they accumulate form all the absorbtion, and then because of this, they dont pop well.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Brilliant Morne, just brilliant. How do they pop? when I tie proppers with a lot of water absorbant feathers, they dont cast very well due the weight they accumulate form all the absorbtion, and then because of this, they dont pop well.
    Thanks Andre. I have no idea how they pop as I have never fished them or any other popper for that matter.. These were also the first I ever tied.It was just fun to tie something different for a change.
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

those legs, those legs, those legs.....that place we fished on Sunday last?? they will be the trigger to get those moffoes to bite rather than look.
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Morne those look fantastic

Nice sbs thanks

I would go easy(ier) on the epoxy
    although It makes the poppers look good it can make them too heavy to cast comfortably and kill their action

conversley im not advocating no epoxy as it 'makes some poppers slap "plop'' much better and almost seems to anchor them in the water

I have found that the more boyant the core the more genorous you can be with the Epoxy

my poppers currently have balsa or surfboard foam cores

last thing with poppers symetry is very important else they "spin " in the air and water causing untold leader chaos
    so try your best to get the hole dead center , the shape even and dress evenly

happy popping
    /d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG