Thread: Extended body polypropylene dunn

Default Extended body polypropylene dunn

This is possibly the easiest extended body dun to tie, that you will find.
    I have been messing around with a technique that combines an idea from a link that Ed Herbst sent out on his blog, and a standard poly dunn, so I can't claim the fly..... unfortunatly.
    The fly can be varied according to size and colour, and anything else you might want to incorporate.
    I have used a size 16 Grip dry fly hook, but it would work well with a klinkhamer hook, that would bend deeper under the film. The materials are simple, thread, black poly yarn, and white.
    Dead easy, and it should catch fish, especially in current cape conditions where those big black mayflies are prevelant.

Step 1: Layer the hook with black thread, leaving a good bump just before the bend.
    Step 2: Take a length of poly yarn black, and tie a knot in it.
    Step 3: Tie in the knotted piece of poly yarn, with the knot forming the rear end of the extended body
    Step 4: Separate a few fibres from behind the knot, for the tail, and trim off the rest
    Step 5: Tie the poly harn forward, and tie in a piece of white poly yarn accroos the hook shank. take out about half the yarn, otherwise the wing will be too bulky.
    Step 6: Splay the black fibres of poly yarn in equal proportins to the left and right.
    Step 7: Gather all the fibres up, and tie behind and in front, in figure of eights. Step 8: Trim to desired height, and arrange the fibres in a wing formation.
    Last edited by Andre; 10-02-10 at 11:40 PM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Thank you Andre

This is a lekker easy one! Most extended body patterns I find too difficult and tedious to tie and not worth the effort, but this one looks great. Will give it a try this weekend.
    They've got us surrounded - the poor bastards!

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I have been messing around with a technique that combines an idea from a link that Ed Herbst sent out on his blog, and a standard poly dunn, so I can't claim the fly..... unfortunatly.
    http://bluedunflies.blogspot.com/200...-blue-dun.html

According to Ed this fly was tied up in the early eighties by John Betts.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    http://bluedunflies.blogspot.com/200...-blue-dun.html

According to Ed this fly was tied up in the early eighties by John Betts.
    Yup, that's where I saw it.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Andre it looks like Grant has been tying you some flies lately, either that or you stealing again
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Quote Originally Posted by Umhlangarox View Post
    Andre it looks like Grant has been tying you some flies lately, either that or you stealing again
    How Insulting!!!

Nice tie dr Dre!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Ingenious in it's bloody simplicity ... well done ... nice pattern.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.