Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Emmarentia dam

Quote Originally Posted by Booger Rose View Post
    Also a nice "safe" dam was the "paddadam" on the RAU grounds, just underneath the rugby fields. Took some awesome fish there - carp, bass and barbell and they go for the fly.
    Are you talking about the UJ dam by the lapa?? Ive fished there before. I have a contact that gives me a key for the gate and I can use the facilities. Only problem is that you HAVE to have a float tube or canoe to fish there. There is a sh$t load of trees and the only place you have some space to backcast is against the side which has pallisades.Other than that its a nice little dam to fish. Its basically part of westdene dam which over flows into UJ`s grounds.

Booger Rose Banned User

That's the one. maybe it changed a bit since I'v fished there. Also took my trusty old fishermans canoe on the water a few times. Nice fish at the inlet next to the reeds. Next to the pomphuisie is also a good spot, get the fly lekker underneath the willows. I also fished it a lot on spinning tackle, get the plastic right under the trees...

That's the one. maybe it changed a bit since I'v fished there. Also took my trusty old fishermans canoe on the water a few times. Nice fish at the inlet next to the reeds. Next to the pomphuisie is also a good spot, get the fly lekker underneath the willows. I also fished it a lot on spinning tackle, get the plastic right under the trees...
    Shot its a leka spot to fish at.. The dam is quite deep so you cant really wade there. I think if you have a 2/3 wt rod the fishing will be a bit easier.. What flies did you catch the barbel and carp on???

Booger Rose Banned User

Olive Woolly Bugger!!! The baber took some big flies, even caught 2 or 3 on a popper, couldn't believe it the first time this happened. The barbel goes into a kind of frienzy with bubbles and rising fish everywhere. Found the best way to be to just cast in the middle of frienzy, let fly sink en bring in with small definate jerks. must be something to do with touch on their wiskers. Never caught a lot maybe one in three trippies in summer. They also went crazy for small kurper heads on conventional tackle.

I always went to that paddadam with two carp rods in the water loaded with brown bread, spinning rod and fly rod. Must be the only dam in Jhb where you could leave your carp rod in the water while going around the dam spinning and you don't have to worry about someone stealing your stuff. Hope it is still like that.

... They also went crazy for small kurper heads ...
    Have you got an SBS for that ?
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2