Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Emmarentia dam

Default Emmarentia dam

Hi all,

So ive just moved to jozi(discovery) and im getting to know the area and what dams not to fish and where it is safe enough to go and fish. Florida dam is not one of them. Anyways, has anyone fished emmarentia dam?? Is it a neat nice plays to fish? Iv heard there is bass there, and its quite close to me.. Your oppinions?? yes, no ???

P.S Im looking for a new fishing buddie out there. Its time to make new friends

Cheers

G

Hi there,

I have also just moved back to jozi and live a short cast away from the dam - used to fish it often a few years back. The fishing is not great but in a big city you take what you can get i suppose ...

Actually fished on Friday, picked up a few small bass in the bottom dam on nymphs, but must admit i did not feel safe. Happy to fish with you though .. late evenings is best.

Anyway, you have a pm
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Just be very careful in that area guys. I have a friend whose house borders the dam, and the crime there is horrendous (mostly drug related).
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

yeah, definately a few dodgy characters floating around

Yeah be careful.... dont fish alone there in the eve... pack something as well perhaps. Have heard stories about it being quite unsafe.
    I'm not addicted to fishing, I can quit anytime my wife makes me!!

Thanks for the heads up guys, it helps when your not alone.. This is xactly the reason why I dont fish at Florida lake. Its packed with druggies. Frankly its quite sad that you risk being killed for your rod. BTW, the river that runs through brookwood farm, what is it called??

Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
    Thanks for the heads up guys, it helps when your not alone.. This is xactly the reason why I dont fish at Florida lake. Its packed with druggies. Frankly its quite sad that you risk being killed for your rod. BTW, the river that runs through brookwood farm, what is it called??

The Blauuwbank I think....(check the spelling)
    I'm not addicted to fishing, I can quit anytime my wife makes me!!

So I went down to Emmarentia on Saturday eve, I met up with Michael and we fished the small dam on the left side of the botanical gardens. I personally think it is a nice little pond with quite a few lilly patches, the bass arent big but I guess you take what ever you can get if your in the big city! There were a few guys fishing and a couple of people jogging and cycling by which helps if your alone. I dont think ill go there alone but it seemed ok. Had loads of fun the hour or two I was there for!

Thanks Michael, looking forward to the next one!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Thanks Michael, looking forward to the next one!

Cheers
    For sure, was good to meet you. Sorry that bass dropped off before you got a pic ... maybe next time

Booger Rose Banned User

I used to fish that area a lot while staying in Jo'burg. Westdene around the island had some huge bass, but bloody difficult to get in there with a fly. Used to fish it from my canoe.

Also a nice "safe" dam was the "paddadam" on the RAU grounds, just underneath the rugby fields. Took some awesome fish there - carp, bass and barbell and they go for the fly. Fish next to the dam wall in the deeper water.

I think you talking about the small dam in the rose-garden. Also took some small bass there - if I remember correctly there is two dams up there, the lower one was more difficult to fish but had bigger fish and less dogs in it.

Emmerentia has some beautiful fish, but the tannies used to k@k me out about the fly gonne hook a kid or a dog. Dam wall and in front of Yacht club under the boat I took some nice fish.

To bad about Florida - that piece of water must be the best in the area and must still be woth it to fish. Make up a group of guys and go target some huge bass on the wall next to the swimming pool and target the Perch between the rocks next to the outlet. some crazy agressive fishies! Never could hook a carp in Florida Lake but saw some trule big brutes - 15kg's plus. I think the fishing club used to feed them. Jo'burg had some special places to fish, just had to look a bit and take your chances.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast