Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Holsloot Bundu Bash & Clean up

Ive done this work professionally before, and its not all cake and tea. If you misprune a shrub like what grows out there, you have the potential to then create an incredible growth spurt which may be completely counter prodcutive to what you had intended. for intstance, if you start randomly and inappropriately lopping off branches which hang into the stream, next year you could walk to the same place and see that from where you cut there are now 10 new whippy fast growing branches triggered by your bad cut.

Or if you chop a wattle down and don't kill the thing, now you have 10 wattles sprouting and producing seed the next year.

Also, in terms of spraying chemical, thats not something you just go do. I had several hours of supervised training and took a 3 hour written exam to become a public pesticide applicator for the state of Oregon. Chemical is not something you just want to go play with.

Good intentions, but looks like some more planning will be required.

Quote Originally Posted by FishZ View Post
    Ive done this work professionally before, and its not all cake and tea. If you misprune a shrub like what grows out there, you have the potential to then create an incredible growth spurt which may be completely counter prodcutive to what you had intended. for intstance, if you start randomly and inappropriately lopping off branches which hang into the stream, next year you could walk to the same place and see that from where you cut there are now 10 new whippy fast growing branches triggered by your bad cut.

Or if you chop a wattle down and don't kill the thing, now you have 10 wattles sprouting and producing seed the next year.

Also, in terms of spraying chemical, thats not something you just go do. I had several hours of supervised training and took a 3 hour written exam to become a public pesticide applicator for the state of Oregon. Chemical is not something you just want to go play with.

IT"S A CONSPIRACY! They want to Rotenone the Holsloot!!!!

Just kidding
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Matt

I wonder if the gentlemen employed by the Working for Water crowd (the ones we sometimes encounter on the streams wearing blue overalls) have been subject to the extent of training required by Oregon?

Things are different here, boet (and not necessarily better)

This is exactly what come out of discussions with Cape Nature, so I guess it's important for them to provide guidance.
    http://www.dwaf.gov.za/wfw/Weedbuste...Brochure07.pdf
    http://www.dwaf.gov.za/wfw/Docs/Pape...2004marais.pdf
    Last edited by BuzzLiteBeer; 01-06-10 at 03:30 PM.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzLiteBeer View Post
    Ask yourself the following questions.

1. Can you correctly identify the species that must be removed from the Holsloot area? (Adults and juveniles)...
    This has gone from a sublime clearing of paths to a ridiculous scientific enterprise.
    Sounds like a consultant was hired, has someone made allowance for toilet facilities?
    Regards
    Craig

Chemical is not something you just want to go play with.
    I was fishing one day and came across the working for water guys, who couldnt get access across a deep pool. I waded across, cut down the offending tree, then smeared the chemical over the cut section by first pouring it into my hand, then rubbing it on. a n d I am oK n--ow (_&^%()%E#JBH
    'jn
    m
    ;mml[p
    Regards
    Craig

Hey Neil,

I don't expect the same sort of regs here as in oregon, but I simply wanted to point out that when you are removing naturally occuring vegetation from an ecosystem, there is more to it than simply, "this branch is in the way so cut it."

Craig,

Sure it could have been an easy thing to just simply sneak in and cut quick and sneak out. and I know it was thought of with the best intentions... But what would the result have been? long term? Im serious about pruning. If you miscut you will mess up some trees, fact. Some will die, fact.

It still may happen, but now it will happen the right way.

Matt

Sorry, was trying to be lighthearted. I cannot imagine the homeless persons that are employed by WFW passing a three hour written exam is all.

You're 100% right though. Incorrect procedure can be counterproductive. Indeed there are areas whre WFW have cleared a few years back that are growing back with a vengeance, no doubt due to the very factors you are referring to.

But, really, I think Craig is right. Clear some of the bush from the Holsloot to improve accessibility and try to respect some basic procedures. I doubt if CPS has the resources or intention of doing a complete alien eradication. Do'nt overcomplicate this or overanalyse this, else nothing will come of this initiative.

Anyway, I've said far too much already.

Cheers

Default Workparty needed for the Holsloot River on 12 and 13 November 2011

Extract from CPS newsletter.

Workparty needed for the Holsloot River on 12 and 13 November

We are planning a cleanup on the Holsloot River for the weekend
    of Sat 12 and Sun 13 November.

The plan is for 12 members to make all 6 beats more accessible
    for fishing.

Please advise if you want us to book you a campsite and if so for what nights ( Frid 11 and Sat 12 Nov ).
    The cost is approximately R 90 per person per night.

You will need to bring your tent and sleeping bag + provisions
    and a bow saw.

If you are prepared to help on either of the two day's or both, please
    contact Tim Pope-Ellis on telephone 021-9762984(h) or 0820563700(c)
    or e-mail timandjanet@telkomsa.net.

Many anglers seem to take our wonderful fishing for granted, but when you consider the facilities and the quality of the angling, the paltry cost and the proximity to a major urban centre it really is quite fantastic. It didn’t arrive however by chance and it has always been the case that someone along the way has worked hard to set up , manage, stock and or look after the fishing we all enjoy. Please do try to assist Tim with this operation if at all possible.
    Last edited by BuzzLiteBeer; 03-11-11 at 08:58 AM.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

I'm in.
    Saw, loppers, panga and all.
    Regards
    Craig

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast