Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Holsloot Bundu Bash & Clean up

Default Holsloot Bundu Bash & Clean up

Extract from CPS Newsletter.

As the Holsloot river has become quite bushed in over the years and paths have become quite indistinct, it has been decided to have a slash & cut party.
    The provisional date is the 5th or 6th of June, and a lot of volunteers are required to open up and mark paths, create exit and ingress points in the beats, and do a bit of trimming. Alien trees along the river that were missed by the eradication teams can also be tackled. The CPS needs you, with your panga or saw. Please contact Craig at sales@streamx.co.za if you are able to assist.
    Last edited by BuzzLiteBeer; 17-10-11 at 12:12 PM.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzLiteBeer View Post
    Extract from CPS Newsletter.

As the Holsloot river has become quite bushed in over the years and paths have become quite indistict, it has been decided to have a slash & cut party.
    The provisional date is the 5th or 6th of June, and a lot of volunteers are required to open up and mark paths, create exit and ingress points in the beats, and do a bit of trimming. Alien trees along the river that were missed by the eradication teams can also be tackled. The CPS needs you, with you panga or saw. Please contact Craig at sales@streamx.co.za if you are able to assist.
    Thanks for posting this Garnet

Andre B & Grant K are actually the ones in charge, but you are still welcome to put your name down via me.
    Regards
    Craig

Thanks guys for your dedication. I will be there. Put my name down please. will PM as well
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by ArcherFish View Post

Andre B & Grant K are actually the ones in charge, but you are still welcome to put your name down via me.
    After some input from Cape Nature, It seems that this exercise needs to be carefully planned. There are quite a few things that have to be taken into account before anyone goes running through the bush with a panga. eg. Correct plant identification, time of year, herbicide application, methods of cutting etc.

Quite right, we are having a CPS committee meeting tommorrow evening, and it will be discussed. Feedback will be given after the meeting. It seems that one can't just go in and cut down trees. It is far more technical than that.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Hi Andre.
    I'd be keen to help with the Holsloot Clean-up...please keep me posted.
    Ryan
    Trout are as much a part of South Africa as the oak trees are of Stellenbosch – not to be planted in wilderness areas where they do not already occur, but to be valued where they are established.

Hang on a minute Craig. If I am in charge, no body told me. As far as I know, I was only asked to assist Grant and Kevin. I hate bering given jobs that I know nothing about.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Hang on a minute Craig. If I am in charge, no body told me. As far as I know, I was only asked to assist Grant and Kevin. I hate bering given jobs that I know nothing about.
    Wasn't at that meeting but the minutes said AB & GK?

Not sure why CPS needs input from Cape Nature about clearing an entry path and maybe hacking out some aliens?
    Regards
    Craig

Wasn't at that meeting but the minutes said AB & GK?

Not sure why CPS needs input from Cape Nature about clearing an entry path and maybe hacking out some aliens?
    Ask yourself the following questions.

1. Can you correctly identify the species that must be removed from the Holsloot area? (Adults and juveniles)
    2. Do you know how to remove them? eg. cutting, pulling, herbicide, combinations.
    3. What do you do with the plants you have removed?
    4. Do you know how to apply a herbicide correctly and do you have protective equipment?
    5. Do you plan to revisit the area at a later date to do a followup on re-emergence of alien plants?
    6. Do you know when CNC will be burning the fynbos and sending their own crews in?

These are just off the top of my head. I for one could not answer these questions a week ago.
    Last edited by BuzzLiteBeer; 01-06-10 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzLiteBeer View Post
    Ask yourself the following questions.

1. Can you correctly identify the species that must be removed from the Holsloot area? (Adults and juveniles)
    2. Do you know how to remove them? eg. cutting, pulling, herbicide, combinations.
    3. What do you do with the plants you have removed?
    4. Do you know how to apply a herbicide correctly and do you have protective equipment?
    5. Do you plan to revisit the area at a later date to do a followup on re-emergence of alien plants?
    6. Do you know when CNC will be burning the fynbos and sending their own crews in?

These are just off the top of my head. I for one could not answer these questions a week ago.
    Yes, all very appropriate questions, and perhaps the most important....
    Can we identify an endangered species in the near vicinity of the alien, that could potentially get damaged or destroyed in the process of excercising our good intentions?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast