Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Gutting yellowfish and eating them

Default Gutting yellowfish and eating them

I came accross these pics, from a bunch of guys that went fishing (not fly fishermen, were using bait and spinners) and kept most of the fish it seems, gutted them and them ate them.
    Now...my first re-action was "AG NO MAN!!!!!!!"
    But, what do you guys think? I dunno the circumstances, and yes you are allowed to keep a few smallmouth yellows for the pot, so maybe it's not that bad?

BUT....my thoughts are:

1. They didn't seem like the kind that NEEDED to fish for food. Yellows don't even taste that lekker, I hear.
    2. Why splay the frikkin fish open like that, as if it's a joke?
    3. Maybe they do this ALL the time, who knows?
    4. It's a small river (not the Vaal), so maybe they should be taught to rather release the fish, as I'm sure there's not an over population there?
    5. If they caught a largemouth, I bet it would be treated the same...especially if it's a big one. Gut him, and chow him.

I dunno...the pics just made me a little sad. I suppose for the same reason I do not hunt and kill either. It's one thing if you are hungry, but for sport? Naaah, not for me.

(I blotted out the faces, to protect the guilty...)

Apparently Yellows make for good eating, especially Largies (because of the size) barring ofcourse the millions of spines.

It's a common (as in many people think that way, not that they are retarded because they think that way) mentality with a lot of bait and artlure fishermen. You keep what you kill, point is the pressure is on the fish stocks, we can't like in the days of our grandfathers just keep and eat, besides ... for most recreational anglers subsistence is not the goal when catching something, so why kill EVERYTHING you catch ?

Lots of hunter gatherer types believe that you honour the memory or spirit or whatever of your quarry by comsuming it's flesh and not wasting it and I agree with that mentality even IF you're a recreational ONLY angler but, then you take one for the pot and release the rest, not so ?
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Anything that is done sustainably, and within the rules of the fishery or landowner, is ok in my book. Like hunting, I will eat the meat, but I choose not to do the killing. Fishing is the same. There are however, species that have a bag limit, that I won't kill on principal, like grunter, cob, leeries etc.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I have eaten a lot of yellows. My dad would always keep one or two small fish every season to make pickled fish with. Sort of like a "delicacy", for lack of a better word in our family. It really isn't bad, certainly no salmon or kingklip, but not bad. We haven't kept any yellows for years now though, think I finally convinced the old man that there are better options out there. I have a suspicion that the water quality has more to do with my dad changing his mind though

I'm sure all that is needed it to teach people like this the "correct" way of doing things and practicing catch and release will become the norm, which it already is in my opinion.

Anyways, still sad to see.

Rob

There are quite a few people who catch and eat yellows.

All of the people I know, do it on a sustainable level and dont overfish.
    As Rob mentioned, pickled fish is a very popular way.
    ANother very popular way of cooking the fish, is where the the fish is cut in 5mm strips, while still on the bone, these cuts are done parralel to the gills all the way to the tail.
    The fish is then rolled in very coarse Mealie meal/flower and coarse salt. The fish is then deep fried.

This way, it is very tasty.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Theres certainly much worse things we all do every day that is threatening fish and rivers much more than these people, yet we choose to look past these things. I know i know... hippy this tree hugger that, but one day, just wait... one day...

so no, i have no real problem with this... much worse things out there...

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Anything that is done sustainably, and within the rules of the fishery or landowner, is ok in my book. Like hunting, I will eat the meat, but I choose not to do the killing. Fishing is the same. There are however, species that have a bag limit, that I won't kill on principal, like grunter, cob, leeries etc.
    This is my take as well on nature. So be it, thats us.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Like most things in life, moderation is key. As for fishing and my perspective on things, will our indigenous species should be taken care of. If they endangered or threatened, then I respect that.. As for carp or bass, depending where I'm fishing..will maybe a bass for the braai wouldn't hurt.

As some have already mentioned, I too believe that there are many things we do on a daily basis which is far more threatening to our environment which affects our river systems and fish further down the line.

An example of this, which really amazes me, is everbody cannot wait for the World Cup! It' gonna be massive..There is a tremendous drive from all areas, individuals, companies etc and everybody is encouraged to wear their Bafana jerseys...They are so proud of their country, yet they are not concerned about the litter they throw out their windows and the rubbish they drop after their lunch is finished... This really saddens me..If they were that proud of their country, surely they would want to look after by keeping it tidy!
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Good call Ryan,

I too get a sick feeling in my stomach when people drop trash. I have even on several occassions simply picked up the rubbish and handed it to them saying "i think you dropped this..." Try that out once, haha. theres nothing better than an african woman looking at you like you are effin nuts.

Ces la vist or whatever

Quote Originally Posted by FishZ View Post
    Good call Ryan,

I too get a sick feeling in my stomach when people drop trash. I have even on several occassions simply picked up the rubbish and handed it to them saying "i think you dropped this..." Try that out once, haha. theres nothing better than an african woman looking at you like you are effin nuts.

Ces la vist or whatever
    I already did that.. The lady had a pram with a kid in and 2 kids following her. The kid threw some rubbish in the air and I confronted them, by saying to the woman I think one of the kids dropped this. She looked at me, with a look that said what is your point.. I sarcasticly said.. "Not to worry, I'll just follow you around for the remainder of the day and clean up after you". She just said, "That's fine" and off she went.. Bet she wants a clean house though, with clean water etc etc.... It makes me so @#$%ing angry!!

When things don't affect certain people immediately or directly, they just don't care......
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast