Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wooly Bugger

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I think you might also be forgetting the type of hook. A standard woolly bugger hook, ie a size 6 to size 4 streamer hook, will not hold up to a tigers bite. His teeth will go right through the hook. For tiger flies, you need a serious hook, like a size 0 or 1/0, heavy guage, chemically sharpened steel hook. Also, the manner with which you need to strip strike the fish, and hold onto the line, if the hook doesnt' break, it will straighten. I would abandon the idea of a wooly bugger, and go for something that will do the job properly, with a hook designed for the purpose.
    Heavy gauge? I disagree completely, as do almost all of the articles published on the subject in the last few years.

I was partial to heavier gauge hooks in the past, such as the Gama sl12s, but lately the thin gauge, straight point (i'm nor referring to offest, rather point shape itself) stinger hooks are my preffered irons i.e. the gama B10S. Which particular hooks do you prefer Andre?

At the end of the day as long as you match the hook to your application, i.e. larger size and gape as guys do when targetting LM yellows/barbel/bass with buggers, there is no reason why a wooly bugger will not work for tiger. It's certainly not the best fly to use, but it will work.

There's a tradeoff between the naturals movement/taper versus longevity/resilience and this obviously needs to be factored into the equation. What about a wooly bugger with a synthitic chennille body, veniard trilobal hackle and a craft fur or angel hair tail?
    Check your knots!

I agree ... the thinner hooks penetrate better but the Gama B10S is no good as far as that is concerned ... had them being bitten through and bent open and this is on Jozini tigers ... not even big Zambezi fish.

I'll ask my mates what hooks they use now ... was also a Gama ... but not the B10S and not the heavier gauge hooks either.

EDIT : BIG beign relative ofcourse ... got two fish over 4.5Kgs and a few over 3.5Kgs.
    Last edited by Scythe; 30-08-10 at 05:50 PM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    Heavy gauge? I disagree completely, as do almost all of the articles published on the subject in the last few years.

I was partial to heavier gauge hooks in the past, such as the Gama sl12s, but lately the thin gauge, straight point (i'm nor referring to offest, rather point shape itself) stinger hooks are my preffered irons i.e. the gama B10S. Which particular hooks do you prefer Andre?

At the end of the day as long as you match the hook to your application, i.e. larger size and gape as guys do when targetting LM yellows/barbel/bass with buggers, there is no reason why a wooly bugger will not work for tiger. It's certainly not the best fly to use, but it will work.

There's a tradeoff between the naturals movement/taper versus longevity/resilience and this obviously needs to be factored into the equation. What about a wooly bugger with a synthitic chennille body, veniard trilobal hackle and a craft fur or angel hair tail?
    Mustad Shaugnessey, or gamakatsu High carbon. Any decent salt water hook for that matter, wheather heavy guage or not, but a woolly bugger trout hook...cmon..., it's just not going to penetrate before it bends or breaks.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    I agree ... the thinner hooks penetrate better but the Gama B10S is no good as far as that is concerned ... had them being bitten through and bent open and this is on Jozini tigers ... not even big Zambezi fish.

I'll ask my mates what hooks they use now ... was also a Gama ... but not the B10S and not the heavier gauge hooks either.

EDIT : BIG beign relative ofcourse ... got two fish over 4.5Kgs and a few over 3.5Kgs.
    Crisis that's not good news. From the looks of them they seem fine and are heavier than the hooks the six of us used last year. Didnt have one bend open or break and each of us managed a fish over 6kg's... http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Gamak...age-RWHBR.html

Andre, I'm definitely not advocating using a "trout" specific hook. That said, unless it's a grip I dont see it being bitten through that easyily. Well it hasnt happened at all in probably 100 days on the zambezi to date so my luck might be about to change Would you mind looking up the model of the hooks you've used for me. Seems I need a few backup plans in case these B10S's fail as dismally as predicted. Not cool.
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post

You got me very worried about the B10S hooks so I climbed on google - they're the hooks recommended by fronteir, ufudu, tourette's and pretty much every magazine article on the subject (along with grip, which is worrying).

I'll tie a few flies on other hooks just in case though
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    Crisis that's not good news. From the looks of them they seem fine and are heavier than the hooks the six of us used last year. Didnt have one bend open or break and each of us managed a fish over 6kg's... http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Gamak...age-RWHBR.html

Andre, I'm definitely not advocating using a "trout" specific hook. That said, unless it's a grip I dont see it being bitten through that easyily. Well it hasnt happened at all in probably 100 days on the zambezi to date so my luck might be about to change Would you mind looking up the model of the hooks you've used for me. Seems I need a few backup plans in case these B10S's fail as dismally as predicted. Not cool.
    Ya , hey no problem, It's probably a case of being confident in your tackle, and if it works, then it's good. My personal choice of tiger hooks are the Mustad O'shaugnessy, 34007 stainless, and the Gamakatsu SL12S Big game chemically sharpened, high carbon. My favorite sizes are 1/0 and 2/0. I have also tried the Mustad C71S SS Long circle streamer in 1/0, and the Mustad C70S D Big Game, and they are both fine. I would reccommend a few flies tied on circles, you wioll be surprised how well they work with tigers. The nice thing about the 'long streamer circle", is that you can tie a really big fly on it. I have also never tried tube flies for tigers, but on my next trip I will give them a go.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Ya , hey no problem, It's probably a case of being confident in your tackle, and if it works, then it's good. My personal choice of tiger hooks are the Mustad O'shaugnessy, 34007 stainless, and the Gamakatsu SL12S Big game chemically sharpened, high carbon. My favorite sizes are 1/0 and 2/0. I have also tried the Mustad C71S SS Long circle streamer in 1/0, and the Mustad C70S D Big Game, and they are both fine. I would reccommend a few flies tied on circles, you wioll be surprised how well they work with tigers. The nice thing about the 'long streamer circle", is that you can tie a really big fly on it. I have also never tried tube flies for tigers, but on my next trip I will give them a go.
    Thanks I've tied most of my smaller flies - size #2 and #4 on the 34007's due to the lack of availability of anything else up here. They're pretty cheap to which is a bonus.

Tried the tube fly thing but again hassled to get components and a decent "tube extension" for my vice. They'd definitely be something worth trying.
    Check your knots!

Hi Guys

This thread has some interesting posts. Clearly there have been some harrowing experiences as regards hooks when fishing for tigers.

I was actually quite surprised when the Gama B10 was mentioned as I fish exclusively with this hook in #1 and #1/0 for tigers and have never had one fail on me yet. Also orders for clients tied using the B10 have been very successful with no failures either. Also the flies tied for peacock bass have all been tied on B10's in #2/0 with very good results

I know people like Garreth Coombes from Sekoma use the B10 exclusively and he's landed fish in excess of 17pds successfully using this hook.

Does anybody have any pics of failed B10's as now there will be a niggling thought in the back of my mind when using this hook?

There are posts that mention the SL12 as a suitable hook. I've tied clousers for Malcolm Yelland on this hook and I must say he swears by this hook and uses no other. Clearly there are several perspectives to this issue, food for thought one might say.

As regards tube flies and and the tool for the vice, Frontier has the HMH version which I use and also recommend. Can't confirm whether they have any left in stock but it's worth giving them a call.

Paul
    Fisherman - We're all born honest but we soon get over it!

but a woolly bugger trout hook...cmon..., it's just not going to penetrate before it bends or breaks.
    No No, not a trout hook at all, that will be like going to a gun fight with a knife!

I use #4 Saltwater hooks, think they were mustads!

Booger Rose Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by piri View Post
    No No, not a trout hook at all, that will be like going to a gun fight with a knife!

I use #4 Saltwater hooks, think they were mustads!
    I have landed a tiger om a Olive Woolly Bugger tied on a #8 "trout hook"...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast