Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Upper Orange Report

Default Upper Orange Report

We fished a section of about 8 km between Orania and Hopetown over the weekend. Klaas arrived early on Friday and had a session of about 2 hours. He ended up with 8 SM and 2 LM. Our clients was more interested in the rafting than the fishing, so myself and Klaas had a bit of fishing time to ourselves on Saturday evening and Sunday morning. Probably about 4 hours in total. Only 2 clients were really fishing and joined us for these two sessions. With the cold front that passed through we had temperatures in the early morning that was below freezing point and frost over everything. Water temperatures were between 14 and 16 degrees, so conditions were a bit though. The clients were after SM and landed about 12 each during the sunset session on Saturday. Myself and Klaas were after LM. I only got a 2kg specimen and Klaas got a very nice one of just under 4kg. We managed to land a couple of decent SM as well, all in the 2kg region.

The Sunday morning was though at first as it was very cold. Klaas again hooked into a pretty decent LM of just under 3kg. I moved downstream a bit and hit a nice honey hole where I landed 3 LM and lost 1 in 6 casts. My largest was 2.5 kg. Well we had 4 LM each for the weekend, very happy clients and good memories.

Here's a couple of pics of the action.

Nice going! Out of interest did you use that 30ft French leader?

A shortened version Gerrit. Probably about 16ft of boiled mono.

Ah ok thanx Chris,that leader for other species(LM) got me interested but the many knots in it... well there you have it.

Lovely fish.

Keep up the reports, an area, that is under reported and not fished to its full potential.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Lovely fish.

Keep up the reports, an area, that is under reported and not fished to its full potential.
    Fished every weekend Korrie and to its full potential, but only by a small amount of people, and I cant see that changing soon. Here's some more pics of the weekends trip.

Check hoe plane daai Ark ini rapids!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    Check hoe plane daai Ark ini rapids!
    Ja nee, die manne het in die rapid agter gebly! Die raft is 'n quiver, maar in geel lyk dit nogal baie soos 'n Ark, nogal lekker booitjies.

Love the crab.

One of the most under rated SM patterns in SA.

a definite must for every fly box.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvd View Post
    Ja nee, die manne het in die rapid agter gebly! Die raft is 'n quiver, maar in geel lyk dit nogal baie soos 'n Ark, nogal lekker booitjies.
    Ag verskoning man,dog dis 'n Ark daai.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast