Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Sterkfontein Sight Fishing Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    What an ABSOLUTE RIP OFF..... Seriously..How do these people even begin to justify that sort of cost, for local fishing!!! Ridiculous!!!!
    They must have some serious clients from overseas. But at that price, they wont have a lot of teams in the comp, I think it will be safe to go fish the dam over that weekend, there wont be a lot of people around.

Guided fishing at Sterkies has become a bit of a joke. Massive prices, many self-proclaimed experts, and clients being told to fish to spawning fish just so they can catch "20+ fish in a day". And all this for what is essentially just a boat ride with a packed lunch.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Its actually a good thing they charge that much - it keeps the masses away and the water great for the future...

Imagine a lekke storm like only sterkies can produce the days of the comp...

R6200 in die water - ma se chop dis baie geld - dis 15 guided trips op die komatirivier vir tiervis

In my volgende lewe gaan ek 'n guide wees - dis beter as om nou in cost accounting klas te sit...

Quote Originally Posted by Troep View Post
    dis beter as om nou in cost accounting klas te sit...
    Enigiets is beter as om in 'n cost accounting klas te sit

Maar teen R6,200 sit ek eerder in die klas
    André

Fly fishing noob

It is curious - curious that physical courage should be so common in the world, and moral courage so rare ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Troep View Post
    Its actually a good thing they charge that much - it keeps the masses away and the water great for the future...

Imagine a lekke storm like only sterkies can produce the days of the comp...

R6200 in die water - ma se chop dis baie geld - dis 15 guided trips op die komatirivier vir tiervis

In my volgende lewe gaan ek 'n guide wees - dis beter as om nou in cost accounting klas te sit...
    R 6 200 pp is WRONG.

The local hunting industry has been f@cked up by overseas clients who are prepared to pay 160 GBP ( Pounds) for an Impala.
    It seems that our " esteemed , Fly Fishing Operators ???????, are jumping on the Band Wagon.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

FlyCastaway are AFAIK some of the better guiding groups out there. Local guys that have paid their dues, and have probably added quite a lot to many fly fishers' lives. Just because these guys are charging a couple more grand than we are prepared to pay does not make them terrorists. They have the same rights as anyone else to fish Sterkfontein, and to guide there. If the price is too high, they won't get anyone on there, so what is the big deal about then?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

A good guide will cost between R1500 and R2000 a day/normally per person or 2 persons.
    Plus good accomodation and good food etc, then R6500 is a good price.
    Add some decent price etc. It is a good deal.

But we still have the right to think it is exspensive, our of our reach, or ridiculous, if we think so.
    Maybe because a lot of forumers dont use a guide, stays at relative inexspensive accomdation etc, happy with their own cooking. Then the trip sounds pricey.

But there are a lot of fly fishers, who wants to be guided by a very competent, if not exceptional fly fishers,caster, wants super food, and very good accomodation, and who are willing to pay for it.
    Good for them.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    But we still have the right to think it is exspensive, our of our reach, or ridiculous, if we think so.
    Maybe because a lot of forumers dont use a guide, stays at relative inexspensive accomdation etc, happy with their own cooking. Then the trip sounds pricey.
    By all means, say it's pricey. But going on about the guides and the operators - quite lame imho.
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    By all means, say it's pricey. But going on about the guides and the operators - quite lame imho.
    I have yet to see anyone being actually guided at Sterkies, that's what I was going on about. Not sure what there is to guide around there either - find the fish, see the fish, stay out of sight, cast a fly, BAM! Catch the fish. Not exactly rocket science.

Like I said, 99% of these guys are simply offering a boat ride and a packed lunch. Not guiding, and as such shouldn't be charging guiding fees.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    I have yet to see anyone being actually guided at Sterkies, that's what I was going on about. Not sure what there is to guide around there either - find the fish, see the fish, stay out of sight, cast a fly, BAM! Catch the fish. Not exactly rocket science.
    For guys that have not fished Sterkfontein that might just BE rocket science. Keep in mind that there are guys willing to fork out the money to be put into fish. If FlyCastAway satisfies that niche of the market, good for them - then they deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    Like I said, 99% of these guys are simply offering a boat ride and a packed lunch. Not guiding, and as such shouldn't be charging guiding fees.
    Who knows what the whole experience entails?? Maybe there is more to the whole thing than just getting onto a boat and getting off at the end of the day.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast