Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Calitzdorp Yellows

Default Calitzdorp Yellows

Hi Guys,
    Has anyone been to Calitzdorp lately, i have fished there over the last 3 years and had some good success, the last time i was there about this time last year, the fisrt time we went there the water level was very low but still got good fish, the second time the water was very high,up to the camping grounds, we stay at the Fish Eagle resort. We are planning a trip down there
    this coming weekend from Port Elizabeth, does anyone know what the water
    is looking like,level wise and color wise.

I haven't been there for a while. Get hold of the guys from Southern Cross Fly Fishers, they will be able to give you all the low down. last i heard, it was raining there, so the river might be dirty, if not too full. Check it out anyway, if I hear anything, i will post it here.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Thanks Andre,
    i have spoken to a few locals and they say the water is not to dirty,
    will check it out and let you know what happens!

Booger Rose Banned User

This time of year is normally a great time to target them yellows.

Talking

Well guys, it was great trip, i got 18 fish and my bud got 10, all good
    quality fish with most being between 1,2kg to 2,4kg being the biggest.
    water levels are very low,but nice and warm and clean.
    Really worth the trip.

check the pic's on the album section!!
    Last edited by Nivek; 31-10-10 at 07:16 PM.

Booger Rose Banned User

Great stuff. I just love that part of the world. Tell about your flies and tactics. The colour on the one yellow in your pics is absolutely beautifull, the water must be clear at the moment.

I was using a tadpole impression i tied and a black woolly bugger with a gold bead head, this little fly really worked well. Fished with 2 flys, Tadpole on top and woolly bugger on bottom. Floating line with a long leader of about 4m.
    I put one small split shot infont of each fly to get them to sink down about 1m,we where fishing along the side, casting parralel with the side about 5m of the bank, the deep ledges and drops produced most of the fish. Cast the fly out and let it sink about 5 seconds, then slow strip and pause, strip and pause, this produced the results. used a 4kg leader. The dam is very low and can be walked around along the bank, if you dont have a kick boat, you could walk and fish from the side and still get fish.

Hi guys

What nice fish. I am planning of spending most of my holiday at Calitzdorp dam trying for the yellows. I bought myself a float tube and would like some tips on where to fish at the dam. I am from Oudtshoorn and use to fish there with bait till I started with the fly. I have caught some small fish of the bank at the camp-site but would really want to get into a big one even if it takes me the entire day. Seams like the tadpole pattern works well. What colors would you suggest for this time of year. I am leaving Stellenbosch on the 17th and would probably stop there for a try on my way home. Please guys I am new to this lovely sport and would be thankful for any tips.

Cheez

Stywe Lynne

There is a "safari-camp" opening in that area, in the mountain section, with about 7km of river. In the not too distant future.

I am wondering how many Capetonians will be interested in visiting the camp, fish for SM yellows etc, have super time in the remoteness of the area etc.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    There is a "safari-camp" opening in that area, in the mountain section, with about 7km of river. In the not too distant future.

I am wondering how many Capetonians will be interested in visiting the camp, fish for SM yellows etc, have super time in the remoteness of the area etc.
    Maybe host a "nymphing masterclass" there?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast