Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ben Joh

Hi All.

I fished Ben Joh on Sat morning. The flow rate was about 22. My son landed 2 barbel the first was about 6 kgs and he also got a carp of about 5 kgs and of course a couple of muddies.
    I hooked 3 yellows and landed 2 and some muddies.
    A good day at the water. Sorry no pics but I don't have a water proof camera. All the fish were caught below the island, above the island it looked like park station not enough space for any one else.

Sunday morning I dashed off to Stroome fished from 7 to 10 . Must have caught about 20 muddies and got 1 nive yellow in the rapids in the far channelm
    A good weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by WayneS View Post
    Hi All.

I fished Ben Joh on Sat morning. The flow rate was about 22. My son landed 2 barbel the first was about 6 kgs and he also got a carp of about 5 kgs and of course a couple of muddies.
    I hooked 3 yellows and landed 2 and some muddies.
    A good day at the water. Sorry no pics but I don't have a water proof camera. All the fish were caught below the island, above the island it looked like park station not enough space for any one else.

Sunday morning I dashed off to Stroome fished from 7 to 10 . Must have caught about 20 muddies and got 1 nive yellow in the rapids in the far channelm
    A good weekend.
    Sounds like a very good w/e indeed. Good to hear that the fishing bug is going down the generations.
    Was the son on bait or fly ?
    Irrespective, a 6kg Barbel and 5 kgCarp, is very respectable, no matter how it wa s caught.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

!!!!Moved post to "Vaal Update" thread!!!!

We did'nt even go to Ben Joh - so I dont know why the hell I've posted my update here!!!???
    Last edited by C J; 06-12-10 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Posted in wrong Thread

Flies that worked for me was a tan / black FB with hot orange bead.

Thanks for a super day out guys.
    Will organise another day out in the new year...
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Hi Herman

All fish were taken on fly.
    It is always great fishing with my son we spend a lot of time fishing together be it rock and surf , deep sea or fly fishing.... moments to always treasure,.

Cheers
    Wayne

Morning All

Any mebers going to Ben Joh tomorrow morning ???

Cheers
    Wayne

Morning All

Any mebers going to Ben Joh tomorrow morning ???

Cheers
    Wayne
    Wayne, it will be you and the rest of Joburg.

Hi Michael

Ben Joh was empty today only saw 3 other anglers and they were right at the top in the rapids.

Fishing was slow early and I got 6 muddies then at 12 I fished some deeper pools ..... I saw a nice yellow but some how I fowl hooked it and it got off. Ten minutes later I got a nice yellow but it took me up stream and wrapped my rig around a rock.... gone.

The wind picked up and a storm started rolling in and I went tight with a bus.... Wow the speed was amazing she ran me upstream into my backing within a couple of seconds then went to the left and darted down stream I saw her as she swirled. After a long tug of war she came to the surface and turned to one side I was so excited that I had finally got a really big yellow ... And the just like that the hooks pulled..... I was so disappointed. I left the water as I was worried about the lightning and took the long road home.

However on the other hand at least I had the privilege to hook and fight a quality yellow..... It was so cool.

I will be back

Cheers
    Wayne

The wind picked up and a storm started rolling in and I went tight with a bus.... Wow the speed was amazing she ran me upstream into my backing within a couple of seconds then went to the left and darted down stream I saw her as she swirled. After a long tug of war she came to the surface and turned to one side I was so excited that I had finally got a really big yellow ... And the just like that the hooks pulled..... I was so disappointed.
    Sounds great! But it's one of those things...win some, lose some.
    makes us go back and hunt the bigger ones!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2