Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tubing adventure turns into croc horror

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFanatic View Post
    Andre, there is a croc farm near Deneysville, a while ago they had a flood and some of the small crocs escaped. someone on flytalk posted a pic of a croc sunning itself on the banks of the vaal river a while ago.

Be sure that they are there, just not in the numbers to be scared. Chances are better to be ran over by a car.

If I were you I would be more scared of the catfish than the crocs! There are some real monsters in the Vaal!
    I took the wife and kids to that croc farm three weeks ago. There is no way in he'll it can be affected by flooding. Its on the top of a hill with no water source. If any crocs got out it's through sheer negligence and human error.

This is one disgusting place... The food is shocking the service is worse and someone should send the SPCA there to sort them out they have crocs, lions, emeus and farm animals all kept in the most apauling conditions. And I'm not that much of a bunny hugger. The stench there is another mater altogether.
    -="Today we FLY"=-

Quote Originally Posted by Ago View Post
    Gusty
    Gusty as in Gusty "You know I used to be on body for life..." while eating a steak the size of well ... a big cow @ Taung ?
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

About 2 - 3 years ago there were 3 crocs at the Suikerbos confluence with the Vaal. Documented with photo's in our local papers.

2 were caught, however the 2m+ one was never caught or shot.

That means there's one unaccounted for.

Floods are a blessing to flatdogs, there's more food around than ever.

So what, as someone else quiite rightly said this is Africa.

Just because the biggest " Bull Shark " aka Zambezi Shark, ever caught on line, came out of the Bree River, and they have been noted many KM's upriver, does that stop you from fishing ?

Hell NO.

Fish Mana Pools, and wade across to the Island opposite the fishing camp to fish the maim channel. On the island you willsee spoor of :crocs, hippo, jumbo and lion.

If it's your time, it's your number. But it must be the second best way to go.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Yes gusty it is.. Who is this?

Yes gusty it is.. Who is this?
    Sorry , who are you referring to in who is this ???
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Sorry Herman ... refering to Scythe..

All I can say is that crocks is extremely opportunistic creatures (speaking of firsthand experience). They will make best of opportunities even if out of their environment. Although I spend many an hour in their environment all i can say is do not underestimate them. We waded the delta for days on end knowing that they are around and we fished off boats seeing them on the sandbanks and yet we washed in the river where at night you see their red eyes waiting. Then when you least expect the crock come and strike at your buddy fishing a meter from you in town where you did not notice any signs of their presence. He does have the scars to show in his face and left elbow as well as memories of having the stitches in his face done live. The Hospital did not have anesthetic that could be used i the face.
    Dry lines don't catch fish!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFanatic View Post
    Andre, there is a croc farm near Deneysville, a while ago they had a flood and some of the small crocs escaped. someone on flytalk posted a pic of a croc sunning itself on the banks of the vaal river a while ago.

Be sure that they are there, just not in the numbers to be scared. Chances are better to be ran over by a car.

If I were you I would be more scared of the catfish than the crocs! There are some real monsters in the Vaal!
    Flyfanatic, thanks for the input but no its not that i am scared , I think you mistook my sarcasm about you finding them first as being scared.

I have actually grappled a couple of crocs. The first 3 were at a small zoo to relocate them into a bigger enclosure, but that was with ropes and help.

The fourth and fifth smaller specimens was, well just for FUN without ropes and help. The sixth one was at a night club in Vanderbijl called Denims and Jeans at a bachelors’. This is the first time i have ever heard a rave version of die stem van suid africa .

I must say the 6th one was the scariest by far and that place had plenty of crocodiles.

On the serious side I don’t think one realizes how powerful these animals are if you have not yet handled one, even though a captive/ lazier bread would never compare with one in the wild.

Even though the probability of coming toe to toe with one in the river is 1 or 2% it wont be enjoyable especially if you caught unaware and on the receiving side.

The actual reason why i was asking if anyone knows of solid evidence is because i have a non flyfishing, but waterskiing friend from Vereeniging that has property on the vaal and suikerbos that doesn’t believe me when i told him there has been crocs in the Vaal and we have a bet on the go. I need proof to win this bet.

Oh and thanks for the heads up on the catfish, i didn’t realize they were so dangerous.

If anyone is interested i did find those old posts with regards to the sighting of a croc in the river, but I am not convinced about this. I can’t seem to find the one with the pic of the croc sunning itself on the bank.

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...ight=crocodile

Hi FlyFanatic,

your post caught my attention..... regarding the Crocs ETC......

You guys clearly dont know ANDRE! ..... if i can paint a little picture for you!!

this is a guy made up, part RAMBO, part Steve Irwin, part Snake madman, part etc etc etc....

He's the only flyfisher i know that jumps off a bridge to chase a yellow that he's hooked (cause the fish went under the bridge) ..... not to mention the fact that the river was flowing BIG TIME.....

So getting back to your post .... i think if he sees a croc in the river ... he's gonna drop his fly rod and chase the croc ...(literally) ..... trust me he's not going to be scared of it ...... in fact it will put a sparkle in his eye !!!

lol

regards

Gusty
    Gugy, i think this is a bit of an exaggeration here, don’t want the people to get the wrong idea. I mean Rambo ??? come on. ok the snakes and Steve Erwin well that’s just part of me.

Ok i must admit jumping off that bridge was not the smartest thing i ever did and I am not proud, but in my defence it was a BIG FISH, they don’t come round every day.

Correct I don’t think i would be able to just stand there and take pics of the croc I wouldn’t be able to pass the opportunity of investigating the sighting further and yes that would probably be the highlight of my day hence the sparkle in my eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Gusty as in Gusty "You know I used to be on body for life..." while eating a steak the size of well ... a big cow @ Taung ?
    Sounds like the right Gusty, probably the most genuine nicest guy you will ever meet.

Bill Phillips speaks of eating alot of steak, it s a great source of protein.

Guys if ever find that you get hungry on your fishing trips best you invite Gusty with he provides food fit for, and enough for the royal family, nothing beats this after a long day of fishing. Not to mention the entertainment value, he is an accountant/flyfisherking by day and comedian/pokerking by night................ Oh lets not forget the Sicilian Mafioso side line.
    Last edited by Andre s; 02-02-11 at 11:04 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast