Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: JAM Flies

I do like the fly. I can see it will work, I am keen on tying a few for my holiday.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

I know it is the wrong section to post, but thought it would be more appropriate in this thread...

the CFFM Mag had a little how-to on the silicone sheets joy!! Is anyone willing to share the shapes they cut out for their JAM flies? guess its simple enough, but maybe someone can save us forumers the trouble to figure it out ourselves

I also want to use this technique and try develop a sealice pattern to drift around in the surf for 3-spots and maybe one day a pompano

Anyone tried tying a sealice using the "JAM" sheets?
    Last edited by Ko7Ad; 09-12-11 at 09:51 AM.

Relevant information in this blog and some good images of JAM flies by Mark K.
    http://borntoflyfish.blogspot.com/20...mmersonni.html

Mmmm... the jam fly... not a fly that the average fly tyer is able to do. It's quite a process. I have watched Mark tie them, and I wont even attempt it. I have bought a few from him, both the pink prawn and the mud prawn varieties. The mud prawns also work well, sometimes better in some places. I had more success in Knysna with the mud prawn, and more success in Plett with the pink one.
    Regardless of the fly, grunter fishing is a frustrating business, and I have to admit that I have had more success with a white and pink charie, than I have had with the jam fly. Perhaps it's my technique, but I struggle to get the jam fly down, without spooking the grunter. Admittedly, I fisg with a 9wt in estuaries, and I have a feeling that a 7 or 8 wt, might present the fly a little better.
    The fact remains, that grunter on fly, is a difficult thing to do, and even the perfect fly isn't going to guarantee anything.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Howdy guys

Some of you might find this interesting
    http://finlovers.com/2015/01/12/fly-...r-the-jam-fly/

I am enjoying the content from Finlovers.com! This jam fly seems to have been modified a lot since its inception. It's actually a very easy tie now, except for the balancing between weight and foam I guess.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2