Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Advertising Rules

Quote Originally Posted by petercoetzee View Post
    hey Mark, I bought a reel from Ricko.

Completely forgot about any payment etc.... Can I transfer the 5% to your account or is there a business account it needs to go in?
    Flyfishers Unlimited can make commercial posts. If they sold it via the /classified auction system then a commission is payable, the system generates these invoices and they will receive an invoice. The commission is payable by the seller.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Hi Mario,

I am not to sure how the part time rod building business work? Is your rod building similar to that of Derek Smith who advertises in the TCFF? If so, the same rules apply.
    Hi Phillip

No, I don't advertise in any magazines. I'll PM you later though so we can talk about it - don't think we need to pollute this thread with individual cases.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Why do'nt you advertise your rods on Gumtree? My uncle sells lots of fishing rods and reels there. Big bargains.

I for one, pay for my banner - witch is very good value by the way. This gives me the opportunity to link the banner to a thread that I can use to punt my commercial activities.

Coming from an advertising background, I can say with confidence that as far as return on investment is concerned, even small and part time businesses will find this of value. With my business not being in the position YET to justify the huge cost of the printed media, Fly Talk gave me the opportunity to expose my brand to a very specific target market, and with business procured within the first month, my continual support as an advertiser is a no brainer!

Just something else worth mentioning is that this ad is not just being exposed to Forum members, and that you will notice that the amount of visitors on the forum on most days exceed the amount of members. Within one month my ad had over 400 people viewing it!

Well done Phillip and partners - I hope you will get the support you deserve!

Quote Originally Posted by etsteph View Post
    Within one month my ad had over 400 people viewing it!
    It's all about conversion rates though. But I agree totally with the rest of what you said as well.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Hi Mario,

I am not to sure how the part time rod building business work? Is your rod building similar to that of Derek Smith who advertises in the TCFF? If so, the same rules apply.
    Hi Phillip

The difference between Derek and us, is we contribute to the forum...he is not even on here (I think?). We add value to the forum, post interesting threads (I hope? ), step-by-steps, info, fly patterns, help, questions, etc.
    Mario has 4,869 posts...I have 4,845 posts. I'd like to imagine that those posts have contributed to make the forum what it is today.

Every forumer and his dog knows that Mario and myself build fly rods. That's nothing new. We don't need to "advertise" on here. People know what we do. Plus, it's not a "business" to us, well to me anyway. I have a day-job that pays all my bills...the rod building is just a hobby. It's a far cry from being a full on flyshop, doing it full-time, or trying to make a career out of it.
    In fact, any monies I do make off a rod build, goes straight back into buying more rod bulding components. In fact, I think with all the stock I have now, I've probably spent more on this hobby than what I've actually made! That's what a hobby is all about.

I'm always the first one to ask guys who advertise stuff for sale on here, to at least give Flytalk a 5% cut of the sale. (If not going via the auction site). I myself have sold stuff via the auction side, and paid the dues.

Then again, there is a "custom rod building" thread on the forum. If myself and Mario did not post anything there, how full would that thread be? What's the use of having that thread anyway, if we can't show off a few rods now and then?? Surely that's what the thread's all about...showing forumers a custom rod, different reelseat woods, grips, sharing opinions, helping others, etc etc.

Anyway, rules are rules...so if you don't want us to post any pics of rods built or anything rod building related, so be it. Just let me know and I'll stop.

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    It's all about conversion rates though. But I agree totally with the rest of what you said as well.
    Advertising cost of 0.76% of procured turnover as direct result of ad!

Mr Michael

Maybe you must also try to sell your rods on Gumtree. I promise you, you will be very happy with the response there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sceptre View Post
    Why do'nt you advertise your rods on Gumtree? My uncle sells lots of fishing rods and reels there. Big bargains.
    Is it those rods with lank kief spark plug sinkers included?
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Hi Phillip

The difference between Derek and us, is we contribute to the forum...he is not even on here (I think?). We add value to the forum, post interesting threads (I hope? ), step-by-steps, info, fly patterns, help, questions, etc.
    Mario has 4,869 posts...I have 4,845 posts. I'd like to imagine that those posts have contributed to make the forum what it is today.
    Well said...

I for one love seeing the new builds. As far as I know neither Mario nor Mike has ever showed a new build with a price tag hanging from it.

Thanks to your contributions with regards to rod building to this Forum the moderators can now brag with all the hits they get on the rod building section

The two of you are responsible for a serious amount of hits for this Forum - well done and please keep the pics and builds coming.
    Last edited by redhumpy; 10-02-11 at 09:50 AM.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast