Thread: Small Scale below Vygeboom

Default Small Scale below Vygeboom

Howzit

Will be attending the YFWG at Badplaas this wkend. We have access to waters below the Vygeboom dam. Water is clear but flowing strong about 13m3/s. has anyone fished these waters ? if any tips or advice ? Would really like to add another yellowfish specie to my list.

Reveck

Quote Originally Posted by Reveck Hariram View Post
    Howzit

Will be attending the YFWG at Badplaas this wkend. We have access to waters below the Vygeboom dam. Water is clear but flowing strong about 13m3/s. has anyone fished these waters ? if any tips or advice ? Would really like to add another yellowfish specie to my list.

Reveck
    Very few SS in that stretch of the river, probably 1 to every 20 LS roughly - the YFWG researchers should be able to tell you the same if they show you their sampling results from the komati from a couple of years ago.

Standard clear water nymphing tactics work well, i.e. fine and far with small emergers/may/midge imitations. If it's been warm you should pick up the 500g-1kg jobs in the rapids short line nymphing. I use a two fly rig as opposed to a three fly rig as the pockets are small and the riffles much shallower than the vaal. Bling vaal flies wont work so tone them down a little but you cant go wrong with a heavier stone fly imitation (copper john or maybe a paul's slayer) and a lightly weighted may (small grhe, ptn, cdc may etc).

Target the deeper pools by trying to spot and intercept cruising fish if you'd prefer to go for the bigger specimens but they will make you work. They dont get big by being dumb
    Check your knots!

Reveck/Chris

I may have a chance to pop to my farm on Friday night near Badplaas on one of the feeder streams and attend Friday night's dinner - but a very remote chance as chaos at work.... Peter Arderne asked me about the fishing in the area and I've given him a few pointers. Also Fred Daniel who will be there Friday night to give a talk can help though his farm is further down the Komati in warmer-water.
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)