Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Circel hooks and yellows

Contradiction, google snell knot on circle hooks.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

I think I'll stick to my tried/tested old hooks, catch a couple of fish and lose a few, hook a few rocks and pieces of weed - and leave the rocket science/theories to you guys!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    I think I'll stick to my tried/tested old hooks, catch a couple of fish and lose a few, hook a few rocks and pieces of weed - and leave the rocket science/theories to you guys!
    Same here, dont blame your faults on your equipment. Be alert and focus.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

I've had to focus ever I first used circle hooks sea fishing up in Scotland in the late 1960s - aaaah!! Girvan Pier in Ayrshire and that Scottish Junior record flounder (fish, not me..)! And then going salmon-fishing on the Stinchar the next day - (no circle hooks)!

I also used to snell my hooks when using spade-ends when 'coarse fishing'.
    I haven't seen or heard of spade-end hooks for years - they had a spade-end shape ILO a round hook-eye so you had to snell the hook.
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    Contradiction, google snell knot on circle hooks.

Dave
    I'l try and clear up the confusion. Here is a link of how to correctly snell a line to a circle hook:

http://www.overbergangling.co.za/ang...ks-succesfully

Now, if the line enters the hook eye from the other side than the one shown in the pic, the hook will almost never set when you do the test as the auther of the article states. What I'm saying is if you put the hook onto the tippet with your regular knot (you cant really snell a fly onto your tippet) then you will have a 50% chance of the hook setting as it could pull either way in the mouth of the fish as discribed in the above mentioned article.

There was a good aricle on this in the hunting and fishing magazine a couple of years ago. The easiest way to understand what I'm saying is to snell a circle hook both ways and do the pal, finger test, you will see what I mean.

I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would want to snel knot a normal eyed hook, regardless of weather it is a circle hook or not. The snel knot was developed for hooks without eyes, back in the day before commercial materials and equipment was available. people used to make their own hooks, and being unable to eye them, they flattened the ends, and snel knotted te hook. Since the advent of eyed hooks, the snel knot has become obscelete, except for a few salt water applications with extremely large hooks. For fly fishing, a snel knot is a disadvantage, and is hopelessly unneccessary. This is my opinion, and based on a bit of reading up.
    The other thing I cant understand, is how would you snel knot a hook on a normally dressed fly? the dressing of the fly goes all the way up to the eye anyway, unless the fly is dressed only partially along the hook shank, so you would have to tie a fly in a special way, so as to leave a little bit of the shank bare.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    i cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would want to snel knot a normal eyed hook, regardless of weather it is a circle hook or not. The snel knot was developed for hooks without eyes, back in the day before commercial materials and equipment was available. People used to make their own hooks, and being unable to eye them, they flattened the ends, and snel knotted te hook. Since the advent of eyed hooks, the snel knot has become obscelete, except for a few salt water applications with extremely large hooks. For fly fishing, a snel knot is a disadvantage, and is hopelessly unneccessary. This is my opinion, and based on a bit of reading up.
    The other thing i cant understand, is how would you snel knot a hook on a normally dressed fly? The dressing of the fly goes all the way up to the eye anyway, unless the fly is dressed only partially along the hook shank, so you would have to tie a fly in a special way, so as to leave a little bit of the shank bare.
    true, stick to your view as well.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvd View Post
    I'l try and clear up the confusion. Here is a link of how to correctly snell a line to a circle hook:

http://www.overbergangling.co.za/ang...ks-succesfully

Now, if the line enters the hook eye from the other side than the one shown in the pic, the hook will almost never set when you do the test as the auther of the article states. What I'm saying is if you put the hook onto the tippet with your regular knot (you cant really snell a fly onto your tippet) then you will have a 50% chance of the hook setting as it could pull either way in the mouth of the fish as discribed in the above mentioned article.

There was a good aricle on this in the hunting and fishing magazine a couple of years ago. The easiest way to understand what I'm saying is to snell a circle hook both ways and do the pal, finger test, you will see what I mean.
    cONFUSION IS, WHO NEEDS IT.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would want to snel knot a normal eyed hook, regardless of weather it is a circle hook or not. The snel knot was developed for hooks without eyes, back in the day before commercial materials and equipment was available. people used to make their own hooks, and being unable to eye them, they flattened the ends, and snel knotted te hook. Since the advent of eyed hooks, the snel knot has become obscelete, except for a few salt water applications with extremely large hooks. For fly fishing, a snel knot is a disadvantage, and is hopelessly unneccessary. This is my opinion, and based on a bit of reading up.
    The other thing I cant understand, is how would you snel knot a hook on a normally dressed fly? the dressing of the fly goes all the way up to the eye anyway, unless the fly is dressed only partially along the hook shank, so you would have to tie a fly in a special way, so as to leave a little bit of the shank bare.
    The snell might have been developed in the old days, but its the only knot that gives you a 100% strike rate with a circle hook. The reason is the way in wich the line enters the eye of the hook. When the line tightens the angle between the eye of the hook and the line (hefboom) makes the hook move in the right direction for it to actualy hook up. If the line enters the hook from the wrong side, it will always move in the wrong direction and never hook. With a normal knot it can move in either direction and thus you have a 50% chance of hooking up.

If you read my post correctly, you would have seen that I said a snell can't be tied onto a fly and thus a circle hook will have a 50% hookuprate on a fly and that is the main reason I don't use it on my flies. Try the test I described above and see what I mean with regard to the setting of the hook. For me as you said a circle hook should be used for saltwater baitfishing and only with a snell knot. It works great for that application.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvd View Post
    The snell might have been developed in the old days, but its the only knot that gives you a 100% strike rate with a circle hook. The reason is the way in wich the line enters the eye of the hook. When the line tightens the angle between the eye of the hook and the line (hefboom) makes the hook move in the right direction for it to actualy hook up. If the line enters the hook from the wrong side, it will always move in the wrong direction and never hook. With a normal knot it can move in either direction and thus you have a 50% chance of hooking up.

If you read my post correctly, you would have seen that I said a snell can't be tied onto a fly and thus a circle hook will have a 50% hookuprate on a fly and that is the main reason I don't use it on my flies. Try the test I described above and see what I mean with regard to the setting of the hook. For me as you said a circle hook should be used for saltwater baitfishing and only with a snell knot. It works great for that application.
    Ok, yes, I hear you,
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3