Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry fly sinking

Smile Dry fly sinking

good day chaps...
    I've got some Qs again...
    went to catch some yellows on saterday...i saw lots of fish chowing bird poop as it falls in the water...i tried some dry flies and got a fish or 2... but after 2 or 3 attemps, the fly sinks and I have to put on a new fly, with the same result after 2 or 3 casts...
    Now its either because I cant tie a flie to save my life and thus I buy my flies...and I still dont think its the best on the market, OR its my leader (normal 3kg line) that sinks and pulls the fly down...or both...
    what do you guys think...and any top secret tips you can give me...
    lost an awesome fish due to a wind knot in my leader! %^#*!
    thanks and cheers

I believe loons hydrostop does wonders to keep dry flies floating. (this is from what I have read thus far)

Testing it for the 1st time this weekend.

hydrostop does work very well keeping flies afloat!
    have a look for floatant/some vaselines. will keep it floating. even the newer stuff called frogs fanny i think...we used it in Lesotho and it really works very well

maybe try posting a fly so we can have a look at it and give some suggestions. it shouldn't be the leader, depending on how small the fly is.

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Where were u fishing for yellows? The reason for me asking relates to water clarity, which would then bring me to tippet choice. For clear water yellows you would probably have to go down to 5x tippet (on a 5wt). In murky or slightly discoloured water I would stick to 4x.

As for the dry fly sinking there are numerous products available from fly shops the most commonly used is Loon Aquel, Loon Hydrostop

My 2c

thanks guys...

water clearity....the colour of Ricoffee!

i will have a look at my nearest fly shop...thanks!

oh another thing about dries:
    i found that if I let the fly float still for quite some time, ill get some action, but when I twich, "vibrate" the fly (it looks more natural to ME...lol) no action at all...why is that?

Hi Bekkerjan,

It is simply because bird poop don't swim/vibrate The fish in this instance expected the food to behave in a certain manner which was a dead drift - dood soos 'n drol

Quite often imparting action into a dry can bring results and patterns like twitching a hopper imitation or skittering a caddis imitation comes to mind.

i think it's because they are looking for dead terrestrials...once again though, if its hoppers and stuff like that, a twitch is good...for mayflies etc, most often they are stuck to the water and dont twitch much...usually they die on the water quite soon after they land so the fish are zoned in on the dead...

twitching in this instance would raise suspicions in my opinion.

what dries are you using for the yellows?

mmm geeez Im no expert so ill take n picture tonight(please dont laugh) and then you guys can tell me...

Ive got a vice and tools, but lack the knowhow and skill to tie my own flies... but at R5 a fly...maybe I should get myself a "fly tying for dummies" book at kalahari.net...any suggestions...

Fly tying bible.. google it.. you might just find a download..

Excellent book, with loads of flies!!

Cheers

G
    ..there we were..5 against 100.. ..Man did we F@k those 5 up..!

Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
    Fly tying bible.. google it.. you might just find a download..

Excellent book, with loads of flies!!

Cheers

G
    is it by peter gathercole?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast