Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Thread: Incident on the Smallblaar

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    I'm in Uitenhage, was there on March 23, 1985.. I did not necklace anybody. But witnessed it first hand. Whats this gotta do with catching a demomocratic shopper in your vehicle??
    It means that if he breaks into your car and don't steal your wife's necklace but maybe the radio and you catch him, you can beat him with the wheelspanner or a cultural weapon like a knopkierre or a panga and you can then strip the tyre from your spare and give him a rubber necklace and state that as an ANC Supporter your act was politically motivated and that you felt threatened by this alien and that Xenophobia was the only way to deal with it.

Would a smiley help???

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    It means that if he breaks into your car and don't steal your wife's necklace but maybe the radio and you catch him, you can beat him with the wheelspanner or a cultural weapon like a knopkierre or a panga and you can then strip the tyre from your spare and give him a rubber necklace and state that as an ANC Supporter your act was politically motivated and that you felt threatened by this alien and that Xenophobia was the only way to deal with it.

Would a smiley help???
    Now thats more to the point. Yes a will help me, and a for the culprit.

Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    I reckon that a lack of discipline is one of the reasons why its okay to steal.
    Corporal punishment in schools should come back. Screw up, do something wrong and take your hiding. This is no longer the case in schools, thats why there is no discipline and thats why kids grow up and they do whatever they want to, right or wrong it doesn't matter , cause they don't get punished for any wrong doing. So yes, be the change and let charity start at home. Teach your kids right.

I wonder if the police still take first time offenders that committed a petty crime into a cell and give them corporal punishment with a cane? Cause that will let you make your mind up pretty quick in trying out that petty crime again
    I send my kids to school to be educated not hit by some out of control teacher who thinks that slapping pupils with a stick is the answer to solving disruptive children, I will do the disciplining thanks....if a stranger hits your kids because he was being rude or disruptive in a shopping mall for example would that be acceptable, hell what about if he was arrested would it be ok for a policeman to hit him, i am guessing not so, why do we find it acceptable for a teacher to hit our kids, violence in any format is not the way forward...............and yes before you ask was I was caned at school and did my parents hit me, yes to both and yes i have turned out ok, but i know kids of my generation who were not so lucky.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    I send my kids to school to be educated not hit by some out of control teacher who thinks that slapping pupils with a stick is the answer to solving disruptive children, I will do the disciplining thanks....if a stranger hits your kids because he was being rude or disruptive in a shopping mall for example would that be acceptable, hell what about if he was arrested would it be ok for a policeman to hit him, i am guessing not so, why do we find it acceptable for a teacher to hit our kids, violence in any format is not the way forward...............and yes before you ask was I was caned at school and did my parents hit me, yes to both and yes i have turned out ok, but i know kids of my generation who were not so lucky.
    Nick...I don't think you make a fair comparison....between getting jacks at school, and beatings by cops or a random idiot in a shopping mall...
    No-one would agree with your kid getting hit with batons and cr@p by the police, causing serious bodily harm...

In school, hell...we weren't beaten with batons over the head or anything like that...the comparison is a bit out of proportion, don't you think??

In school, it was a detterent...you cause sh1t, you get jacks. On your @ss...and it hurt...but it's hardly the same as getting beat over the head by police!

In my opinion, we are going soft on kids. No wonder there's so much cr@p in schools...there's hardly any discipline and the kids run riot sometimes, don't feel anything as they know there are no consequences. At least with us, we knew if we were caught we would get jacks and we were scared of that 'cos it frikkin hurt! But that was it...we took our jacks, it hurt like hell, and it was over. No long counselling sessions, no calling up your parents "Johnny swore in class, we should talk about it" bullsh1t or anything like that.

I never classed getting jacks as "violence". I mean if you give your kid a smack on the @ss...even that is "violence" these days, and SO not on! I mean please...kids are naughty and sometimes a smack on the bum is 100 times more effective than any other punishment. It's over and done with and next time the kid will think twice before doing what he did.

I don't advocate heavy beatings and excessive force when disciplining kids...heck, my daughter has not had a smack on the bum in 4 years. But it's because she knows that should she ever step out of line in a bad way, she just may get one. And we strive to always talk to her about good versus bad, why something is wrong, and punish her in other ways. a Smack on the bum is the last resort when other methods fail and you have had enough.

That said, most "problem kids" attitude and behaviour can be directly traced back to the parents...when parenting is bad or non-existant, and the kids have no discipline at home, it creates problem children.
    In that case, is discipline in school not a good thing then?? 'Cos if they don't get discipline at home, at least they will get it at school! But at the moment...it's just a "do what you want" attitude, there's no consequences. And at home, the parents just don't care or are too busy...so in both instances, the child just runs riot.

I am all for punishment in school...not over the top of course, but heck...if I had a son and he stepped out of line in school and got a few deserved jacks on his ass for it, I say good.
    Last edited by Michael; 11-04-11 at 10:28 AM.

Mike - totally agree on the discipline at school thing. Jacks hurt and properly administered are a necessity at our schools. Lack of discipline and misbehaviour without consequence are a where our problems with the youth begin.

Used a taxi on Saturday night and had a conversation with the taxi driver about our current crime scenario. His opinion was that since the police stopped using a cane on the "skollies" the problems started. His opinion of prison was that it was a "lekker plek waar jy kos en tv kry" and that the young delinquents feared a caning far more than a prison sentence.

This thread has drifted a long way from a broken window on SB3 though.

Mike, i hear you but am afraid i cannot agree with you, hitting defenceless children as a way of disciplining them is child abuse, I have 2 girls and the thought of me whacking my 4 year old makes me fill sick, let alone a teacher doing it... if parents choose to use this as a form of discipline in the their own home each to their own and if it works for you that’s your call but I find it abhorrent that a complete stranger(a teacher) would lift my daughters skirt up or pull down her trousers to spank her, teachers teach, parents discipline ….
    My wife has done many studies into child/parenting and the majority of those studies have shown that CP does not work; in fact it will have a detrimental effect on the child.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Mike, i hear you but am afraid i cannot agree with you, hitting defenceless children as a way of disciplining them is child abuse, I have 2 girls and the thought of me whacking my 4 year old makes me fill sick, let alone a teacher doing it... if parents choose to use this as a form of discipline in the their own home each to their own and if it works for you that’s your call but I find it abhorrent that a complete stranger(a teacher) would lift my daughters skirt up or pull down her trousers to spank her, teachers teach, parents discipline ….
    My wife has done many studies into child/parenting and the majority of those studies have shown that CP does not work; in fact it will have a detrimental effect on the child.
    Nick, I'm not being funny...but you are still ripping this way out of proportion. Is this a Cape Town thing????

"I find it abhorrent that a complete stranger(a teacher) would lift my daughters skirt up or pull down her trousers to spank her"

Who said anything about lifting up 4 year old girl's skirt and whacking her???

We're talking about "properly administered" jacks in school...and certainly not hitting 4-year old girls!
    Plus, not even us BOYS had to pull our pants down!

When I was in school, we (boys) got jacks...but only from about 10 years old and on, and girls (only from high-school on) got a rap on the hand with a small ruler, and that happened almost never anyway. Boys (being naughty by nature) got the "jacks". Girls NEVER got hit on any other part of their bodies except for the open hand. (Which almost never happened anyway...girls got other punishment like detention or extra homework, etc).

You only have to look at schools and pupils to see the lack of respect they have these days for teachers and their educational insitutions.

I've heard kids and the way they speak in schools these days...swear words are like a third langauge to them, and some have ZERO respect.
    When my daughter is old enough to date (I dread that day) and a 16 year old delinquent boy comes over to visit her, and he speaks to ME like that...I'd slap the frikkin taste out of his mouth.
    Last edited by Michael; 11-04-11 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Nick, I'm not being funny...but you are still ripping this way out of proportion. Is this a Cape Town thing????

"I find it abhorrent that a complete stranger(a teacher) would lift my daughters skirt up or pull down her trousers to spank her"

Who said anything about lifting up 4 year old girl's skirt and whacking her???

We're talking about "properly administered" jacks in school...and certainly not hitting 4-year old girls!

When I was in school, we (boys) got jacks...but only from about 10 years old and on, and girls (only from high-school on) got a rap on the hand with a small ruler, and that happened almost never anyway. Boys (being naughty by nature) got the "jacks". Girls NEVER got hit on any other part of their bodies except for the open hand. (Which almost never happened anyway...girls got other punishment like detention or extra homework, etc).

You only have to look at schools and pupils to see the lack of respect they have these days for teachers and their educational insitutions.

I've heard kids and the way they speak in schools these days...swear words are like a third langauge to them, and some have ZERO respect.
    When my daughter is old enough to date (I dread that day) and a 16 year old delinquent boy comes over to visit her, and he speaks to ME like that...I'd slap the frikkin taste out of his mouth.
    Hi Mike definetly not a cape town thing i fam rom the UK

Mike i am just trying to highlight that violence of any kind on any child is not the way forward, if societys answer to displine is violence then we have failed...its an arguement that i will not/or you will not be swayed on, i choose not to whack my kids and i therfore do not wish anyone else too,be that in school or anywhere else, my children are being taught that life is a about cycles and for good to happen the bad cycles need to be broken otherwise we just go round in circles back and forth inflicting the same result, if you always do what you have always done you will always get what you always got. I also am dreading the day my daughters bring home a hormone ravaged teenager but we are hoping that sending hear to convent to become a nun might help
    James Boswell.

I also am dreading the day my daughters bring home a hormone ravaged teenager but we are hoping that sending hear to convent to become a nun might help
    Nick, that won't help either...you know what they say about catholic convent school girls......

The old story...forbid them to do something and they will sneak around behind your back. Parenting...no-one said it would be easy!

Bottom line today is, parenting has gone backwards, it really has. These days both parents work (mostly), whereas in the "old" days Mom could stay at home and concentrate on the kids. People are just to happy to buy that video game for their kids to keep them out of their hair, or are too busy to actually listen to their kids or discipline them.
    So there I agree...if you have a problem child in school, look at the parents...they are usually to blame.
    I'm just saying in those cases, having little discipline or no consequenses at school doesn't help either.

Nick, there is a difference between a smack on the bum and teachers, adults, parents going bonkers and hitting/abusing the child by overdoing it.

The psychological thing is something I can also go into but I am not going to. I was 12 years old and I screwed up so much at school that I got six of the best and I even had the privilege to choose my own cane for the exercise. Went back to that same teacher a few years ago and he couldn't believe his eyes or ears when I told him where I am and what I am doing. He just replied " This is the best news he had heard in a long time because as a child he did not have any hope for me". I once saw a teacher cry after hitting a classmate of mine. He took the oke into the store and then he accidentally hit the shelve and then the plank landed on Attie's back. He was very sorry over it. Never did Attie misbehave nor did he ever get a hiding again from that teacher. Why? Both of them knew exactly where they were standing with each other.

I have no problems with a smack on the bum. But something that screws kids up is ABUSE like being hit with a fist or an object over the head or body with the intention to cause serious harm, people burning their kids with cigarettes. Or people tying a child to a tree or table. Child Molest is also something that screws kids up for life and its only a select few that can shake the bruises as an adult. I am yet to hear of a child that got a hiding as much as I did and ended up screwed up.

Where there is discipline and love a child will feel security. You can even hit a dog and he will keep coming back to you, but stop giving him attention and see what happens. A child must learn to deal with right and wrong and to take responsibility for their deeds and actions and when in the wrong they must know that there will be consequences.

If I had a daughter I would let my wife give her a hiding, cause I just won't get it over my heart to do it. I feel that Mommy should sort the girls out and Daddy the boys.

I can still remember as a boy, my mom used to say " Do what you want, run away into the veld where I can't catch you, just remember one thing, your dad is coming home and he will sort you out". That thought send shivers down my spine cause my dad always talked to us first before giving us a hiding and that made me cry and then we ended up lying face down on the bed. Got my hiding and never cried, cause I took it like a man, looked my dad in the eye, shook his arm and said thank you. Till this day my dad recalls of not once seeing me cry after a hiding. He did say that my bum was as hard as concrete though.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13