Thread: Waterproof Pouches - cheapies

Default Waterproof Pouches - cheapies

While the wife shopped yesterday, I did my normal thing when tagging along...checking out everything which could be used for fly fishing...
    Came accross these Waterproof Pouches in Mr. Price Sport...they seem quite decent, and very cheap (is that a bad omen...?).

I thought at that price I'd buy two and try them anyway. They seem robust enough, the material is pretty thick, and the seams seem welded strong. Inflated one last night and applied force to it...held up, so I reckon they are okay. I suppose time will tell...but they certainly are better than zip-lock bags, and will also last quite some time. The top folds over about three times and then you secure it with the velcro flap. Airtight, nothing leaked out when I checked it.
    But yes, they are VERY cheap...so ultimately time will tell what quality they are, but they seem pretty good.

This one is the "Large"...18cm x 25cm. Cost is just R 26.00
    There is another one slighly smaller too.

PS: There's also a waterproof box, looks like the expensive camera boxes you buy at Due South, etc...but was under R100.00. Also seemed pretty okay, but I didn't get one as I already have some. Seemed perfect for keeping stuff dry like your lunch, car keys, camera, cell phone, etc. All these were in the accessories side in the camping section.

They are OK - You can use them about 4 - 5 times then they tear in the little eye where the rope goes through.
    If you want it to last longer take the rope of.

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    They are OK - You can use them about 4 - 5 times then they tear in the little eye where the rope goes through.
    Yip, exacty what happened to mine - Bought some new ones this weekend, and took the cord out. Always worked great for me - Just dont try underwater photography in it . . .
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    Yup, was my thoughts exactly...I'm going to take the ropes off. To dangle it by the cord with stuff it, will be fatal as the weight will tear it out of there I reckon. So without it, it will last long I reckon.

The Simms equivalent is $15, and a lot more robust.

Or you can go for one of theese:

http://www.mammothoutdoor.co.za/sea-...FUIMfAodpwxmaQ

They are pretty inexpensive, very durable and work bloody well if used correctly.

(And they are alot cheaper from outdoor warehouse)
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

Stephen and Mark...sure yes we all know about the more robust ones out there...I was merely saying if your budget is tight, here's an option.

Only R26.00!! I mean that's ridiculously priced. Sure, it may only last a year or two, but so what? I'm going to use them on my float tube...to dump my car keys, cellphone, wallet, food, etc in. Then into the tube's pouch. Used like that, I reckon they will last bloody long.

I would not use them in saltwater, or for expensive equipment like SLR camera's, etc...but that's not the intended use here. Just a good alternative to ziplocks, which I use like toiletpaper when going fishing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Stephen and Mark...sure yes we all know about the more robust ones out there...I was merely saying if your budget is tight, here's an option.

Only R26.00!! I mean that's ridiculously priced. Sure, it may only last a year or two, but so what? I'm going to use them on my float tube...to dump my car keys, cellphone, wallet, food, etc in. Then into the tube's pouch. Used like that, I reckon they will last bloody long.

I would not use them in saltwater, or for expensive equipment like SLR camera's, etc...but that's not the intended use here. Just a good alternative to ziplocks, which I use like toiletpaper when going fishing!
    In that case another option is those airtight lunchboxes you get at spar!
    They fit everything in (depending on the size you need) are very robust and completely waterproof. The downside for me is that they are a bit bulky to use in a pack. The plus side is they are only *slightly* more expensive than the bags youve found. But very cool never the less!
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markdej View Post
    In that case another option is those airtight lunchboxes you get at spar!
    They fit everything in (depending on the size you need) are very robust and completely waterproof. The downside for me is that they are a bit bulky to use in a pack. The plus side is they are only *slightly* more expensive than the bags youve found. But very cool never the less!
    Yeah, I use one of those for my Canon. It's called a "Lock&Lock" box, got it from makro. The camera fits into that box like a glove, so it's perfect. Can't recall what I paid though...think it was about R 80.00...which is pricey for a "tupperware" box... But worth it, the thing will last forever (or until the rubber seal perishes, which seems unlikely. After two years, still as new).

So yep...those lock&lock boxes (I think Addis also makes a similar one...locks on all four sides) are also an option for waterproof containers. Come in all shapes and sizes (even round).