Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Recipes

Default Favorite Recipes

Hi Guys

Please share your recipes here.

Cheers

hi guys,as im not to keen on the couscous idea....(no offence)i have a trout laying in wait for supper tonight and have yet to find a decent recipe for cooking it...any sugestions welcome......
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    hi guys,as im not to keen on the couscous idea....(no offence)i have a trout laying in wait for supper tonight and have yet to find a decent recipe for cooking it...any sugestions welcome......
    Clean it, put some tomato and onions inside it. Sprinkle herbs, spices, pepper, salt. Wrap in tin foil, and braai for 5 -10 min. Take fork and insert just above spine, meat should come off without taking any bones with it.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

thanks dizzy....thats how i do my white stump.comes out very nice indeed
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Add some courgettes(inside) and you have a healthy meal
    Last edited by Rendier; 16-04-07 at 09:40 AM.
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    Really, trout is delicate enough not to have to spice it much.

Leave the fish as is, only remove the intestines. Leave to skin alone.

Rub the fish in olive oil, sprinkle with coarse sea salt.

Put it in tin foil, put it on the braai or the oven, when its almost done open up the tin foil and let it get some colour.

When ready to eat, pull the skin off and enjoy. The meat should be a nice light pink colour and will come of the spine easily.

Nothing more than this is needed for trout IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by izak View Post
    Really, trout is delicate enough not to have to spice it much.

Leave the fish as is, only remove the intestines. Leave to skin alone.

Rub the fish in olive oil, sprinkle with coarse sea salt.

Put it in tin foil, put it on the braai or the oven, when its almost done open up the tin foil and let it get some colour.

When ready to eat, pull the skin off and enjoy. The meat should be a nice light pink colour and will come of the spine easily.

Nothing more than this is needed for trout IMHO.
    Hi Guys

I agree with him. I have tried all sorts of fancy recipes, fillings etc. And the best taste you get out of trout is the age old recipe, salt, lemon juice and garlic thats it. I don't think one should kill the natural taste.

But everyone to their own taste.

Every now and then when I feel like a trout for lunch the day after a trip, there is only one way I cook it.

Take one or 2 freshly caught pan size trout. Clean properly, salt the belly cavity with coarse salt and leave in the fridge overnight. The salt draws a lot of the moisture out of the flesh which means firmer flesh that doesn't fall apart when you cook it.

The next day, stuff the belly with fresh thyme and 2 or 3 slices of lemon. Place the fish in a tray.

Fire up the Weber using the indirect method (coals on either side, not directly under what you're cooking.)

Make 2 little bowls out of foil, fill with smoking sawdust which you then wet with your favourite tipple. I like using Jack Daniels, but any Whiskey/Brandy/Wine etc will work.

Place these containers with the dampened sawdust, one on either side, directly on top of the coals then place the tray with the fish in onto the cooking grid. Close lid and wait about 20-25 mins before opening.

The fish come out with a nice mild smoked flavour which just perfectly enhances the natural flavour.

Pierre
    I thought that we practice catch and release as sport fisherman to conserve our resources. I'm not interested in the commercials. I feel that it should be in everyones interests at Flytalk to promote catch and release, not discuss recipes as it reflects badly. Somewhere we need to draw the line. And those who want to take out of the systems its there wright to do so , but we do not need to air it to all.
    This is how I feel about the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by FIGJAM View Post
    Pierre
    I thought that we practice catch and release as sport fisherman to conserve our resources. I'm not interested in the commercials. I feel that it should be in everyones interests at Flytalk to promote catch and release, not discuss recipes as it reflects badly. Somewhere we need to draw the line. And those who want to take out of the systems its there wright to do so , but we do not need to air it to all.
    This is how I feel about the matter.
    Um, trout farms? Nothing wrong with eating a trout bought at a place were it was bred to be eaten.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast