Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vaal river flows

Default Vaal river flows

Does anyone have any idea why they are screwing around with the Vaal flows the way they are. Thurs/Fri they dropped it to 10cum, no rain around or expected Sat they pushed it up to 38cum, Sun over 50 and now Goose bay is at 141 cum.
    Are they testing something, working/repairing/maintaining something or are they just making our lives difficult and frustrating us because it’s working.

Andre, I have NO IDEA, I don't think we will ever understand this... we try each year without success.

Flow now >160 and increasing

Just like last year, it is going to be a very difficult LM season in this part of the world.

Default Re : Vaal Flows

Hi Guys

It seems like the sudden spike in flow this morning this morning was due to some miscommunication. All the gates are closed now to bring the level of the barrage to normal. The flow expected below the barrage should be around 10 cms.

Regards

Reveck Hariam for Randwater

"miscommunication"

WTF?

Look at the graphs, the report from Kookie with data from 07:00 stated 211 cumecs!!! Miscommunication...

I wonder if anybody is held accountable for this miscommunication?

WOW....... miscommunication? How does a miscommunication like this happen and with who? Are these guys the same guys that control the release and levels over the rainy season, like the last 2 December floods we experienced?

I am no rocket scientist when it comes to water management but noticed a problem from Friday already, i just assumed that they were busy with repairs or maintenance on the wall, the only reason i could think why the flows were changing so rapidly without rain around.

From the logs i understand that the minimum level is 7.35 and max 7.55 and when the levels start reaching these measurements they increase/decrease the discharge accordingly.

Thursday they brought it down to 10cms – level 7.51 – 1 gate open. Friday increased to 25.229 cms – level 7.52 – 2 gates. Sat increased the flow to 40.159 – level 7.45 3 gates open.... ok now the level is optimum, in the middel of min and max, no rain. Sun inc 39.912 – level 7.36 – 3 gates open .01 away from the minimum level, even with a miscommunication, how does the operator even consider opening 11 gates.... Mon inc to 211.163 – level 6.92 – 11 gates open, they didn’t even open 11 gates when we had those down pours in December, well until it was too late that is.

That’s our bit of viz that we had gone again now we start from the beginning.

Seems more like an incompetence problem than a miscommunication problem to me.

Quote Originally Posted by troutmaster View Post
    "miscommunication"

WTF?

Look at the graphs, the report from Kookie with data from 07:00 stated 211 cumecs!!! Miscommunication...

I wonder if anybody is held accountable for this miscommunication?
    They should fire Miss Communication and hire Mr Communication...
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    They should fire Miss Communication and hire Mr Communication...
    hahahahaha . spot on

FlyFanatic Banned User

T i a ........

Quote Originally Posted by Andre s View Post
    hahahahaha . spot on
    I could have done better...
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Thanks Reveck I was also a bit concerned abot this. Damn I'm glad I'm not standing on a rock in the middle of the Elgro drift!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast