Thread: Riet River to Rietvlei Dam

Default Riet River to Rietvlei Dam

I read a few articals some time ago that once upon a time there was some good populations of Large Scale Yellows in the Rietvlei Dam. Not sure what happened but that story seemed to fade away with time??? I drove along the river from Apollo Brick (Grootfontein) in the direction of Rietvlei Dam. Not for the faint harted - the "road" is non existant. a 4x4 with good ground clearance was the only way I could explore this river. The stretch of river did not look bad at all. Staring at a deep pool you get this feeling that something will rise to something just now - but nothing!
    Do any of you know about the Rietvlei Yellows and does that part of the Riet carry any fish?

I used to live in Irene and regularly fished the stream below the Rietvlei dam wall. This was about 15 years ago for a period of 5 years or so.

The stream was full of spirited and beautiful Smallscale Yellows, carp and barbel. Absolutely magnifcent small stream fishing. The papgooiers used to fish below the m57 bridge and I used to walk up towards the dam or downstream under the highway and further. You cant go there now for safety reasons, but also because the housing estates have claimed most of that land. When the building started and the fertilizer started being washed into the stream, the fish vanished.

I've looked at that same stretch of river Colin and must say it is looking very fishable. Also around the Irene side. On the subject, I saw a beautiful yellow in the Moreleta Spruit in PTA East the week-end in a place where I never in my wildest dreams would have ever thought they still exist!
    NO it was not a carp and no I will not say where

Quote Originally Posted by Garage View Post
    I used to live in Irene and regularly fished the stream below the Rietvlei dam wall. This was about 15 years ago for a period of 5 years or so.

The stream was full of spirited and beautiful Smallscale Yellows, carp and barbel. Absolutely magnifcent small stream fishing. The papgooiers used to fish below the m57 bridge and I used to walk up towards the dam or downstream under the highway and further. You cant go there now for safety reasons, but also because the housing estates have claimed most of that land. When the building started and the fertilizer started being washed into the stream, the fish vanished.
    I scouted this exact piece of river about 5 years ago, and it was void of yellows...I saw nothing the whole day. Did spot the odd small bass though.

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    I've looked at that same stretch of river Colin and must say it is looking very fishable. Also around the Irene side. On the subject, I saw a beautiful yellow in the Moreleta Spruit in PTA East the week-end in a place where I never in my wildest dreams would have ever thought they still exist!
    NO it was not a carp and no I will not say where
    OK OK...Where?
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Mike/Mario - I think that stetch is worth another look. The water does not look bad and, no funny smell. Also no rubbish. If there are still some LS and SS in the Rietvlei Dam - IMHO, they should end up in this part of that stream during summer.
    I drove all the way along the river from Mopani shooting range to Apollo Brick. From there I went over the Olifants to Grootfontein durt road and carried on there for a bit. Saw good bird life - lots of ducks. Taking the frost of winter in account, the plant life was also not that bad. It actualy reminds me a lot of the Bronkhorstspruit River.

Warning - there was no road where I drove! I made one. We where in two 4x4's (my Triton and my friends Cherokee). There are massive rocks and holes in that area - NOT THE PLACE FOR A TOYOTA/FORD/MAZDA or ISUZU!
    Last edited by C J; 06-06-11 at 12:09 PM.