Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Bo-vlakte

Quote Originally Posted by TERENCE View Post
    Enlighten me? Thats what Johan calls them.
    Steelhead are rainbows which return to the river system after 2-3 years out in the ocean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_trout
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Hi Shaun,the owner claims he stocked steel-head as fingerlings in the holding pond in the dam.The patern (marking/colour )do seem to be different to the brown trout and the shape of the fish seem to be different.I will post some pics of the fish caught and the fundies can maybe tell the difference.

Technically stocking fingerling in a land locked lake still does not make for Steelhead but as with all things fly fishing whatever blows the owners skirt up
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

its just marketing, like calling those ugly ass albino fish "Golden trout". Golden trout are only found in a few locations in california and wyoming and a few others. Steelhead are sea run rainbow trout. they are genetically similar to rainbow trout. they are rainbow trout. call them rainbow trout.

But we are tired of catching browns and rainbows, we need to catch double headed ardvark trout and all that stuff.

Or Middelbek

Hi Shaun,I opened up a bees nest here,so lets say in conclusion there are a load of brown trout and rainbow's , as you know they do have a brown trout dam, specific ,but need a float tube for that dam unless you have mastered the snap d single handed spey casting technique ,it works well ,a 20mt cast with no back cast,I love it.
    To scyrhe,small,piet,fish,and red I humble too your knowledge ,I looked and searched for steelhead trout and you are right they only exist at BOVLAKTE.I have opened the can,lets hear what Johan has to say about his STEELHEADS ,maybe there is some truth somewhere.
    Shaun I hope you have a better camera than my cell ,I have a load of pics I could drop on this site but they are not that good ,the difference in the fish (browns) is significant .You be my judge. (I fished there a year ago and so called steelhead were in the pen as fingerlings and obviously since released, if they are browns or maybe brook trout I don't know,brown's that hit a flipper over and over on surface it's not what I expected, but it might have been the rainbow's .It did snow on the Sunday while we were there ,so go prepared.
    Have fun ,fresh water brown steelheads are waiting for you,don't forget the flippers

Thanks Terence appreciate all the info. I also fished there about a year ago when the "steelheads" were not released yet into the open dam, they did look slightly different in colour, maybe a little dull. Would be interesting to hear what some or other expert has to say on this matter. And we did manage to get a few browns in the brown trout dam. Will definitely give the flippers a go, sounds like it could be fun.

Other than that im looking forward to the trip, and will post a update with pics in two weeks time. (Maybe some nice pics of those steelhead) till then tight lines everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by TERENCE View Post
    ... I don't know,brown's that hit a flipper over and over on surface it's not what I expected, but it might have been the rainbow's
    Muddlers and similar type flies retrieved like a bat out of hell especially in early light or last light conditions work a treat, so wouldn't surprise me that you did get this behaviour.

In my experience it depends entirely on the particular stillwater and what sources of food are available.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Ek was so paar maande gelede daar,die dam was maar laag op n tyd en die warm weer was nie goed vir die vis nie.Ek hoor die dam is weer gestock met n paar monster groot visse.Ek werk vir die plaas langsaan,ons het ook ons damme gestock met rainbow en browns,was verlede naweek by die dam dit was great.

Stillwater steelheads
    Awesome.. guess this means those yellow goldfish in my garden pond are actually yellowfish

Are you guys not being confused by the parr marks?
    Cause its no state secret that a steelhead is simply a sea run Rainbow trout. So I just dont get how the fingerlings could be sea run? Because if for arguments sake you had a steelhead that spawned and then hatched the roe they would still be rainbow trout. Could the chap perhaps mean landlocked salmon, as there were some of them brought into the country a few years backed and stocked up Pilgrims Rest way?
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast