Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Official Goldilocks SBS. :)

Default Official Goldilocks SBS. :)

Goldilocks

The Goldilocks fly started off as a #16 soft hackle fly about 3 or 4 years ago.
    The inspiration for this fly was a little fly the Czech fly fishers use o the stillwaters, called a “Small Black”. One night I tied a couple of Small Blacks for a still water session, but we all know how it goes, when sitting behind the vise, sooner or later the boredom crept in and the inspiration started to flow to create or tie something new.
    The #16 become a #10, then a bead followed, a bigger and longer hook followed, about 2 hours later, I had about 15 or 20 flies, in different sizes and lengths etc.
    The bottom line was that it was the scruffiest, scrawniest bunch of flies I had in my hand.
    What the heck I thought, can’t waste all the hooks and time on all the flies and not try it at all.
    I placed all these ugly, scrawny flies in the fly box for a session on Lakenvlei. After 2 hours of no takes, I tied one of the final products of the night onto the point of the tippet. Cast after cast it produced fish. Was this pure fluke or the fly, I changed the fly to another pattern, nothing for the next hour. Back to the Goldilocks, fish on. This pattern repeated itself for the next 2 or 3 trips to Lakenvlei and another couple of still waters.
    That year the fly one the Western Province still water trails for me. Matt Rich (Fish Wisperer) was sitting with me on the boat for one session. He can describe the frustration, watching fish after fish coming out on a fly, that he had no idea of what it was. The Goldilocks later won him the session on Lakenvlei, at the Nationals. This year again, the Goldilocks again was the fly that produced the fish for me on Lakenvlei, winning the Western Province Still water Trails. This time Theron Cillie, was sitting with me on the boat, tearing his hair out.
    After 3 or 4 years, the Goldilocks have proved itself time and again, in numerous waters and competitions. As Matt Rich said, it have developed a bit of a cult following in the Cape.

Recipe:
    Hook: #6 or #8 – 4XL long shank hook.
    Bead: 3 or 4mm Tungsten bead, GOLD
    Thread: Black
    Tail: Soft Marabou
    Ribbing: Copper Wire
    Body dubbing: Hends Fluoro Orange LIGHT
    Ribbing hackle: Black soft hen body.

Head: Artificial peacock dubbing
    Step 1: Put tungsten bead on and tie in Black Marabou for the tail
    Step 2: Tie in copper wire
    Step 3: Apply Fluoro Orange very loose onto the thread.
    Step 4: Wrap forward with fairly open wrappings, but leave 1,5mm for “head dubbing” behind the bead.
    Step 5: Tie in the hen hackle and wind backwards and tie off with copper wire.
    Step 6: Counter rib with copper wire to behind the bead and tie off copper wire with thread.
    Step 7: Apply Artificial peacock dubbing and whip finish behind the bead.
    Step 8: VIGOURSLY BRUSH OUT WITH VELCRO
    Step 9: Brush this scruffy looking thing back with the Velcro.
    Voila: The Goldilocks.
    It is basically a soft hackle and woolly bugger combined.
    When stripped very fast, the body is very thin and trim. Long strips, and you have this pulsating moving.
    When moving the fly, the color of the dubbing plays an important role, the shimmer thru the hackle, which provides an enticing color moving illusion.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Photos for SBS
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

More photos
    Korrie Broos

I hope that the Goldilocks produce as much fish for you as it has produced for me and quite a few other fly fishermen, that have tested the fly for me, over the last couple of years.
    Korrie Broos

Ag Whatever..

Jokes...nice fly Korrie
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    Ag Whatever..

Jokes...nice fly Korrie
    Whatever jou ma ... se vliegstok. (JOKES JOKES)
    Korrie Broos

The heavy tungsten bead, with the long marabou tail and the soft hackle ribbed thru the body, gives this fly the most amazing movements. With a diving, darting motion, depending on the retrieve. (spent a long time along the swimming pool, looking/studying all the movements)
    Korrie Broos

Nice one! Ive never seen a SBS for it I just copied what I could remember from seeing it. Trust me to make it complicated! Mine is a blend of about 18 dubbings in split thread with CDC en alles thrown in.

Will have to try yours to see which one I like.
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    He can describe the frustration, watching fish after fish coming out on a fly, that he had no idea of what it was. The Goldilocks later won him the session on Lakenvlei, at the Nationals.
    2 sessions
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    2 sessions
    OOOPS, cant remember all the success of the Goldilocks. ;-)
    Korrie Broos

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast