Thread: Bushveld Yellows

Default Bushveld Yellows

Howzit

I am off to the bush this weekend and I want to see if I can catch at least one yellow found in the Olifants river (near Hoedspruit)...

What tips in terms of flies can you guys in the know (Jock-o etc) give me...?

Everytime I have been there, I have noticed that the fish feed on algae, would it be worth to tie a fly with some green marabou on, similar to the algae flies used for mullet...and give that a go?

I have tried the usual suspects, small may's etc before, but the fish are not interested...

What do you okes scheme?
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

I've always battled with yellows in the "middle" oliphants too, no clue why they're so stubborn...

I scale right down to a 9ft 5x leader with 3ft of 5x flouro to a pale klinky and about 3ft of 6x flouro to a tiny may with no flash or beads. If that doesn't work you can swap the may for a midge/ buzzer type pattern but I wouldn't go the algae imitating route.

What do the may's you're using look like? I tie mine on a #16 TMC, olive micro fibbets for a tail, light tan thread body ribbed with maybe three or four turns of micro straggle and a small holo brown thorax. I flare the fibbets out every 10 casts or so. I'll try and take a pic just now to give you a better idea
    Check your knots!

Great info Jock-O, thanks...

I tried the usual black mays that I posted once of the forum, size 16 and 18...but those fish are very stubborn....

I wil see what happens, post the pic, that May sound yummy
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

I grew up on the banks of the Olifants river 21 km from Hoedspruit towards the tunnel. The Olifants has always been difficult in general. Catfish is quite easy with the "rain frogs". The frog with the green line on the back was very potent. While you are there, try the Blyde river as well. Farmers will allow you on their premises if you 'behave'. If you need a contact just pm me. I can get you into some places where chances are good to catch some nice yellows. Between the Tzaneen Bridge and Mica Bridge is huge waterfalls/potholes . Extremely difficult to get to but excellent fishing area. On the Blyde, go to the BP garage next to the river and ask Jaco if you can fish along the banks towards the Olifants River. There is bass and yellows.
    Jaco v Deventer

Thanks Bud, I grew up in Phalaborwa and fished those areas quite a bit, the Bylde is lovely, fantastic bird life...

I am going to my buddies farm, we have been buggering around there for decades, get to catch some nice bass and bream, but I want to give the river a good go on fly this time round...

Will take pics if we get anything...

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    Great info Jock-O, thanks...

I tried the usual black mays that I posted once of the forum, size 16 and 18...but those fish are very stubborn....

I wil see what happens, post the pic, that May sound yummy
    The only thing I can think then is that the black versions throw off to "bold" a silhouette if that makes any sense as the water is crystal clear at this time of year. Just a theory though?

My mays are actually quite boring, but that's the point Apologies for the dodgy pic's but I was in a rush and used my blackberry.
    Check your knots!

Midges, bloodworm and san juan.
    Tie size 18 with black and white thread only. On the breathers use white thread, teased.

My experience with bushveld yellows (living in Middelburg), water clarity depending, caught on #14
    montana nymphs, tied in Dark olive chanel, light green chanel for thorax and black hackle for tail and thorax. One fly that always worked for me.

Wished I could post a pic

Well, we drove down to my mates farm to camp at the river as reported.

We all agreed that over the years we should have done this more often as it is really a stunning spot...maybe becasue we too "clever" everytime we visited the place...

In any case, the spot where camped was quite close to a stunning channel with plenty decent rapids and some nice pools...normally, one would see plenty yellows as the water is crystal clear. Unfortunatley, the fish were not in their usual spots...could be that they are still in the deeper sections...too dangerous to go and scout.

We took a walk up the river to go and have a look, all we saw was a massive flatdog...geepers...

Even though, no fish came to be, what a fanstic time we had. The bird life was also brilliant with plenty of species all over the show...best spot was a resident flock of Trumpter Hornbills...lekker to see.

Will post pics a little later of the spot and the river...

oh ja, my buddy got one yellow on earthworm...eish